Chapter 3~ Dead Reckoning

I'd been stuck in Guantanamo Bay for a day and a half now and I was beginning to get restless and when I get restless, I get naughty. Wanting to have a bit of fun, I rigged up a parachute with a bottle of vodka and tossed it into the air. My aim was spot on and it landed on the Russian ship's bow. She glared at me before removing it. "Why thank you, Nathan." She said. She uncorked it and poured some into a glass. I nodded, taking out my own bottle as glass. "Cheers." I said. She nodded and we drank in unison. I think you can guess what my brilliant plan was. I intended to get this Russian ship wasted. I would be unlikely to sneak past her as I would be a good deal drunk myself. In fact, escaping was the last thing on my mind at the moment. Let me just say, it was the season. "Don't think I don't know what you're up to." She growled as she downed another glass. "Oh, what do you think I'm up to sweetie." I asked. "You intend to get me drunk and sneak past me." She replied coolly. "Now, why be so cruel mon amour?" I asked. She shrugged. "Isn't escaping what you had in mind?" She asked. "Escaping can wait." I replied and winked at her. She flushed and I laughed. "Nathan, quit flirting and help me with these provisions!" Chandler snapped. I yelped. "Ah, yes sir!" I stammered and set to work.

As the captain and I continued loading on vitals, two of my crewman took one of my small underwater boats to see the channel bottom where we intended to escape. It was deep enough to handle my draught, barely. At high tide, I'd have no more than four inches of water under my keel and there were the coral beds. I'd have to blast my way out of that but that would likely attract the attention of the Russian ship. Key precision timing was key. This mission would be timed down to the second! Watching the video feed I couldn't help but wince as I looked at the sharp coral. If I hit that, I'd be torn apart. The boat then surfaced where I saw two other small boats from the Russian ship lock guns and fire. My two brave sailors didn't stand a chance. The smug smile on the Russians face did it! "You can't escape Nathan." She cooed. I narrowed my eyes. "Oh and who says they weren't just diving? Can't a person have a little fun around here without being shot at!" I hissed. She shrugged and in retaliation, I aimed my bow gun at the two small boats and fired a shot over their heads to land in the water beside them. "What is it you want?" the Russian admiral snapped. "I want you to leave the harbor!" Chandler replied. When the Russian admiral didn't answer back at once, Chandler ordered the guns locked on the Russian men in the water. "Five, four, three, two, one..." "Alright!" The Russian practically shouted. "You have 24 hours captain. If you make any attempt to leave, we will see you." As she passed by me, the Russian ship gave me a flirtatious wink. "I'll see you out at sea, Nathan." She purred and sailed out. I whistled, my engines and face heating up. "Easy there, loverboy. We still have a lot of work to do." Chandler reminded me. "Uh, yes sir." I answered still staring after her. "Look at those curves." I murmured. Chandler just rolled his eyes and Scott tried to hide a snicker and failed.
Night fell soon enough and my comfortable doze was interrupted by screams of terror as Dr. Scott raced along my corridors chased by her associate Quincy. "What the..." I wondered. "Stay away from me!" She shrieked. Quincy was cornered in the galley but he grabbed hold of a vile. "I open this, and I kill everyone on this ship!" He growled. "You wouldn't do that Quincy. It's not who you are." Dr. Scott said. "Give me the vile." He hesitated several times but Dr. Scott was insistent. Eventually she prevailed and I breathed a sigh of relief. Quincy was soon detained within his quarters and my crew went about preparing for the escape out of her. They set up a foil tint that would act as the dot on the Russians' radar in my place. "They're not seeing us, they're seeing a little dot on the radar. Good thing I have very little reflection." I murmured. "A good thing indeed. Because of that, we just might be able to pull this part of the mission off." Chandler said. "Ready sir." Radioed the chief. "Good, cast the lines." Chandler replied. Slowly, I began to move forward out of the berth and into the harbor. As expected, there was no reaction from the Russians. Lieutenants Green and Foster took one of the small boats out to meet with the Russians, Foster acting as Dr. Scott. As I steamed quietly into the channel, their searchlights came on as they spotted the small boat. For some reason or another, Green throttled back, telling Foster to bail. An argument ensued and precious seconds were lost. I drew closer and closer to the dreaded coral. "Nathan, can you slow down?" Chandler asked. "Not enough time, sir and the channel's too narrow for much maneuverability as it is. Cutting speed will only reduce that further." I said. Just when it seemed I'd crash into the coral, I saw the explosion. At once I fired a torpedo and I saw the explosion not 100 yards in front of me. I was sprayed by water and struck by coral debris as it came raining down. I sailed through the hole in the channel, occasionally brushing against the coral bed on my way out. As soon as I was through the channel, I breathed a sigh of relief. Feeling a bit lightheaded I realized I'd been holding my breath that whole time. "Now, let's just pick up our cargo and get the hell out of here." Chandler said. "Amen." I agreed.

Later, Dr. Scott met me on the bow. "You were very brave today Nathan." She said. "Thank you, doctor." I replied. "Now, now. You allowed me to call you Nathan. Call me Rachel." She said. I nodded. She leaned down, sliding her hand through the railing and gently brushed her palm along my hull, stroking me. I purred, my eyes closing. Once again I could feel my engines heating up. "No, no I shouldn't be thinking like that!" I scolded myself sternly. "I mean, she's human!" "Arleigh would be proud of you, as am I." She said. "Thank you Rachel." I murmured. She smiled. "You're welcome." She replied. We sat there in silence for a few minutes before she stood up again. "Well, I'm going to bed." She said. "Alright, goodnight Rachel." I replied. She smiled. "Goodnight, Nathan." She said and went back inside.