Chapter 9~ Trials

"I have the cure!"

Nathan perked up at Dr. Scott's words. "You serious? You have it!" He laughed. The first genuine laugh anyone had heard from him in a long time.

"Well we won't know until we test it." She replied.

"How are we going to test it?" Chandler asked.

"Based on genetics, there will be a few individuals among the crew that can be tested on." Scott said.

"What about a ship?" Nathan suggested.

"Out of the question!" Chandler replied instantly.

"Oh come on! We might know how it will work on humans but if it can't work on ships, then anyone sailing on ships is screwed over anyways." Nathan replied.

Chandler fell silent as he contemplated this. "Can it work?" He asked Dr. Scott.

"If it does, it can work on anyone of any species." She replied.

"Very well." Chandler agreed.

Nathan had known the risks from the get go. What he didn't expect however was for his own body to turn on him so suddenly. The steam pumps shut down, forcing the engines to quit running as well. The main power grid went down as well but Nathan managed to keep most of the power running in the lab to preserve the samples.

"Nathan, what's wrong? What's happening?" Chandler demanded.

"I-I don't know..." Nathan replied. He lunged forward, coating the sea in a thick layer of half digested fish guts.

This gave everyone a good grimace. "Ugh, sick ships are the worst." Lt. Green muttered and Chandler nodded his agreement.

Nathan wasn't the only one. The few sailors who had also been given the vaccine were experiencing similar symptoms. The Arleigh Burke-class destroyer had a severe migraine which wasn't being helped by the arguing going on in his laboratory. Dr. Scott and Quincy were arguing over what had gone wrong.

"Will you both pl-please s-stop." Nathan shivered.

Dr. Scott pushed past Quincy and made her way out on deck, walking on the walls as Nathan was on his side. "You should be resting." She told him.

"With you two arguing, that's impossible." He snorted.

"I'm sorry." She sighed. "We're trying to figure out what went wrong."

"I don't think it's the vaccine that's wrong. If it was I would've got the actual virus by now." Nathan groaned.

Dr. Scott caught on. "An allergic reaction." She realized.

He nodded. "Or worse. An autoimmune response. I've heard of such reactions before to certain types of vaccines." He rasped, a bit of oil seeping from his mouth as he coughed.

She stroked the side of his hull. "Hang in there. Quincy and I will find a way to help you."

"I ain't going anywhere." Nathan murmured back.

She pet him one last time and raced off. Nathan groaned, head resting partially submerged in the water. The sea did little to cool him off but with silence, Nathan was finally able to get at least some rest.

He was woken by the feeling of a needle pricking into his skin. He grimaced.

"Hold still." Dr. Scott's voice said. "I'm almost done here."

"Hmm..." He murmured, stifling a yawn.

"Just go back to sleep, dear. You'll feel better soon." She assured him.

That soothing voice was all Nathan needed to hear.

Within a few days he was back to normal as was everyone else that had taken the vaccine. All except one that is.

Nathan winced as the body was dumped overboard. One crewman was lost before Dr. Scott could find a way to counter the response.

"Hey, you saved us." He assured her. "The loss of one is an acceptable price to pay."

"Yeah but it's still a price." She sighed.

He let her be, knowing she just needed time. They had the cure now, and soon they'd be well on their way to curing the world.