Chapter 1~ Phase Six

My eyes were diverted from staring blankly at the horizon as a pair of scientists came up the gangway with heavy equipment in hand. "So these must be the virologists." I thought to myself. Yes, I knew what their mission was, what my mission was. My eldest brother, Arleigh Burke had told me. Just thinking about this mission and its implications was enough to send a shiver down my keel. The fate of the world, of humanity rested on my decks, no pressure.

My captain, Tom Chandler approached the duo in the helicopter bay turned science lab. After introductions, he noticed a mask that the doctor, Scott's assistant Quincy was handling. "What is that?" He asked. "It's merely used so we don't contaminate anything." Quincy replied. "I have 217 lives I have to protect aboard this ship, including that of the ship himself." Chandler said. Scott caught on quickly and replied "We're zoologists, studying birds in the artic." Chandler seemed to sense she was not telling the truth but as no explanation seemed forthcoming he was forced to accept it. Saying his farewells, he left.

Glancing around me, I noticed that none of my crew were in earshot and I took the opportunity. "Dr. Scott," I began. "How bad is the outbreak now?" "At the moment, it's at Phase 2, concentrated in small clusters around Africa and Asia but it's spreading fast and is almost into Stage 3, open contamination which means it won't be in small clusters for much longer." She replied. "And what have you deduced from it so far." I asked. "It's a mutated virus, a strand of which has been passed on to us." She replied. "Passed on, you mean it originated from another species, the birds!" I gasped. She nodded. "You'd be correct Nathan, um may I call you that?" She asked. I nodded slightly. "Of course." I replied. She continued "We think that the birds were a carrier of the virus, passing it on to a mammal in their feces and eventually onto us. A primordial strand extracted from the ice will tell me and Quincy if that is the case. I already have a sample from the people infected outside Cairo. What I need to determine is how it's mutating and how quickly and more importantly, if it's stabilizing." "Because if it's stabilizing, it's easier to defeat with a vaccine." I murmured. "Very good, are you a biologist?" She asked. "Not officially." I replied. "But I like studying viruses. It's my hobby." "Well then you are one lucky ship cause that's all that you're gonna be studying for the next few months." She said. "Really?!" I just about squealed with excitement. "How'd you like to be my assistant?" She asked. "I'd love it!" I exclaimed. "Good, you can help me with any samples I collect but don't tell anyone." She said. "Understood, it's classified right?" I asked. "Very much so yes." She replied. "Not a word." I promised. "Good boy." She gave me a pat and went back to work.

The lines were thrown and with a signal from my chief engineer I turned over my engines, giving a loud blast on my horn as I did so just out of pure excitement and turned by bow for the harbor entrance. Weeks of cold awaited me in the artic but hey, I didn't care. I was going to have a lot of fun or so I thought. Little did I know what mess I'd gotten myself into.

2 MONTHS LATER

"Brr!" I shivered as the snow began to fall again. It had been like this for several weeks, and while Scott had kept true to her word and let me help with the samples, our meetings were few and far between for fear that someone might suspect. Our mission was classified and we intended to keep it that way. So you can imagine my shock and horror when I heard of three Russian helicopters attacking Dr. Scott. I wanted to open fire, tear them to pieces but the risk of hitting the doctor was too high so I held back. Then one of them came for me. It fired a pair of missiles at me. My Phalanx close in weapon system fired a spray of defense but it was no good. The first missile impacted on my starboard side, just forward of the bridge. I groaned, not letting the Russians have the satisfaction of hearing me squeal. The second missile struck a second later on the port side. This time, I couldn't keep myself from crying out. My adrenaline began pumping, numbing the pain to a dull throb and I snarled, my eyes narrowing as I zeroed in on that helicopter. I fired a pair of rounds from my bow mounted five inch gun and I watched as it fell to the sea as flaming debris. One of my own helicopters returned with Doctors Scott and Quincy as well as a Russian prisoner. "Why did you attack us?!" I snarled to him in Russian. "Want the cure..." the man gasped. I stiffened at this. How did they know what we were up to.

The man died shortly thereafter and captain Chandler faced Dr. Scott down, the samples in hand. "You're not getting these samples until you tell me what's going on!" He growled. "Captain, please..." I whined. "Stay out of this Nathan, this doesn't concern you." Chandler retorted. "Yes it does!" I snapped. "I've been helping her decode the virus samples." Chandler looked shocked at this new info. Dr. Scott intervened. "4 months ago there was an outbreak outside Cairo. Any person who contracted the virus died! Its genetic structure is unlike anything anyone has ever seen. My orders were to extract a primordial sample from the artic and test it." She said. "But things have gotten much worse than anyone ever anticipated." I added. "What do you mean?" Chandler asked me. "When we left home the virus was at Phase 2, concentrated in small clusters in Africa and Asia. Now, we are at Phase 6." "And how would you know this?" He asked. "I have my own sat phone." Scott replied. "Nathan helped ensure the communication lines were secure." "Our orders were to remain radio silent!" Chandler practically snarled. He grabbed the case containing the samples. "So help me I will throw this overboard!" "I don't think you understand what's happening here!" I shrieked. "Enlighten me, Nathan!" Chandler said. Dr. Scott opened her mouth to speak but Chandler glared at her. "I said Nathan." He said and she nodded, backing down. "The virus is now spread worldwide, it's a global pandemic and that case, it contains the very ingredients for a vaccine." I replied. "Why wasn't I told of this?" Chandler asked. "We had our orders straight from the Pentagon, it was classified." I replied. "So the weapons testing...." Chandler asked. "All a cover." I answered. A sailor stepped in. "Excuse me sir," he began. "But the President of the United States is on the line." Chandler nodded and handed Dr. Scott her case before leaving.

I patched himself in, this was a call I needed to hear. The video feed revealed not a man but a woman. "Captain Chandler," She greeted. "Ma'am. Why..." Chandler began. "I know, the last time you saw me I was Speaker of the House but the President died a month ago, the vice president a week later. What's left of the federal government is currently holed up 400 feet below the white house." Chandler's eyes widened in disbelief. "Communication is sparse. Tell me, does Dr. Scott have the samples she needs?" She asked. "Yes." Chandler replied. "What about the Russians? They nearly killed us!" I asked. "Nathan!" Chandler growled. The president half smiled as she replied "Russia has no functioning government. What you came across were renegades. I'm ordering you home. There's a base in North Carolina where you can refuel and take on provisions. But be careful!" Chandler nodded and the call was ended.

Arriving in Jacksonville, I was struck at how deserted the place was. "There were 9000 people stationed here." I whispered. Chandler gave me a comforting pat on the side. "Shh, it's alright." He said. "We'll get in, and get out as quick as we can." I nodded, my eyes scanning around for any other ships. There were a few and my eyes widened, and my heart rate quickened as I recognized one of them. "Nathan?" He whispered, raising his head weakly. "Arleigh," I docked close by him and gave him a gentle nuzzle. "I didn't think I'd see you again." He said. "Shh." I whispered. "It's gonna be okay." I hugged him gently, shocked at how frail he felt compared to me. Every rib showed on him and his eyes were hollow, devoid of life. He looked half like a corpse. "What happened here?" I asked. "The virus." Arleigh replied. "It wiped out everyone." "Are there any other ships still alive?" I asked. "I don't know." He groaned. "Sometimes, I hear them coughing but that only means they have it too. Their days are numbered, as are mine." "No, don't say that!" I cried. "You're not ill are you?" He shook his head. "No, no I'm not but I will fall to it eventually. Nathan, listen to me. You have a job to do, you must do it! I'm counting on you, the world is counting on you to find that cure. Make the vaccine..." I shook my head. "No, no, no, no! Not without you. I can't!" I sobbed. "You don't have a choice." Arleigh snarled. "You are an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, the most powerful in the world, your fighting capabilities cannot be matched nor can your biological skills. Viruses are your forte, it has to be you." "No, please..." I whimpered. Arleigh sighed and nuzzled me. "I will always love you." He promised. "Just promise me that you won't give up no matter what. Get your samples, make the vaccine, and give it to anyone you find. Is that understood?" Blinking back my tears I replied "yes, sir." Arleigh smiled. "That's a good boy." He said, kissing me gently atop my head. I pressed against him. "I don't want to leave you." I whispered. "I know, I know but I cannot leave. I cannot move and you cannot afford to have a skeleton crew." He replied. I embraced him. "I'll miss you Arleigh." I sobbed. "If you hurry, maybe I'll still be kicking when you return with that cure." He said. "Don't give up hope Nathan, the world needs you now." He let go. My fuel tanks were topped off and my crew back aboard. The lines were cast and my engines turned over. "I am so proud of you." Arleigh whispered. "Thank you, I'll be back as soon as I can, with the cure." I growled. "That's the spirit." He laughed. I sailed out of Jacksonville, sounding my horn in salute to my brother and as I left the coast behind, I couldn't help but wonder if I'd ever see Arleigh alive again.