Prologue~ Pathogen

It started in Egypt, in a small village outside Cairo. Where it came from, how it emerged, no one knows. But what we do know is the result. It spread quickly, killing everything in its path, only fear remained ahead of it. The first signs of this deadly killer were an irritating cough, like one might have when suffering from a common cold. But then the symptoms became much worse. Hemorrhaging and blisters on the skin were next then the blood loss took its toll, causing the victim to experience dementia and ultimately, death. In just 3-5 days a person could go from being perfectly healthy to being on the verge of death.

The virus was currently rated at Phase 2 by the CDC and WHO, concentrated in small clusters in Africa and Asia where it originated. But it was spreading, fast! One scientist working for the CDC had deduced that a primordial sample of the virus was required to create a vaccine and the only place to find such a sample was in the artic. The woman boarded a US Naval destroyer, me, unaware that her life, mine and those of my crew were about to be changed in ways that none of us could imagine, and that nothing would ever be the same again.

My name is USS Nathan James (DDG-151), I am an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer and I am the Last Ship.