haruka ❥ beautiful water

_____

nanase haruka✖✖✖

~7 years ago~

A ten year old Haru trudged the beach, looking for crabs and turtles in every hole he could possibly find until he ended up in a cave by the cliffs when he tried to follow a couple of small sea turtles floating on the shallow parts of the water.

All of a sudden, a movement caught his eyes and quickly, he run through the waist deep water of the cave only to find a girl of about his age.

You were scared and startled to see him which he seemed to shrug off, but when he was about to turn back, he saw something different. You didn't have legs but rather shiny fin identical to that of a fish's half body.

His breath was completely taken away as he stared in awe, while you relaxed a bit at his curious gaze and you stared right back at him with wonder.

However, it was short lived.

"Haru-chan! Oi! Haru-chan!" The familiar voice of Nagisa echoed throughout from the entrance of the cave.

"Haru!"

"Haru-chan!"

Rin's and Makoto's voices followed.

You froze at the voices and Haru couldn't help but watch as your body turned into water-like form. Before the 3 other boys could approach and spot you, you quickly dove to the waters, blending along with it and Haru was left with a feeling of disappointment.

"Oi, Haru! What are you standing there?" Rin asked when he saw his raven haired friend.

Slowly, Haru turned to them, shaking his head. "Nothing."

"Huh?"

He looked back where the girl once was and his lips turned into a frown.

~Present~

"Aaaahhh... So hot..." Nagisa moaned, his form slightly bent as he wiped his forehead.

"Ma, ma... We're almost done." Makoto tried to be optimistic but failed when he saw Gou already screaming her head off.

"Why do we have to do this?!"

"It's a school project." Rei answered, but he wasn't one to talk. He was completely drenched in sweat.

One of the school's events was town-help, which includes picking up garbages by the beach. As a swim team, they were appointed to do the job. While the bunch of them complained about it, Haru was not as thrilled as them. In fact, he remained calm about it. This was one excuse to be able to swim.

"Eh?" Nagisa looked around. "Where's Haru-chan?"

"Oh, he said he's in charge of cleaning the cave down the cliff side." Rei answered pointing to the rock-filled area.

"Huh? Isn't it harder to pick up scattered garbages up there?" Gou asked.

"Sa..." Makoto replied with a shrug.

Meanwhile, Haru was no longer cleaning. Instead, he was following a couple of small sea turtles swimming near the shallows. Suddenly, a sense of deja vu washed over him when entered through a cave.

It's been a long time since he last came here and he could barely remember anything about it. He shook his head silently when he was about to reach the dead end wall but then, a movement caught his eyes.

Right by the far rocky corners, sat a girl who was about the same age as him.

You were enjoying the cold feel of the cave water since it was a hot summer season when suddenly, a boy startled you. He wasn't moving though. He was just standing on the other side, his eyes filled with curiousity as he stares at you but then widened for a fraction just the same as yours.

You knew him.

You remember him.

And he knew you too.

He remembered you.

But the moment was short lived, same as back then.

"Haru-chan!"

"Haru-chan!"

"Haru-senpai!"

"Haru-chan-san!"

Like before, your body turned to water and you dive to hide.

Haru stood once again, with the same feel of disappointment, after 10 years.

"Haru-chan? What are you doing here?" Nagisa asked. "What are you staring at?"

"Water..." Haru murmured, staring at the spot you once occupied. "Beautiful water... Beautiful water..."

Meanwhile, you were hidden behind one of the rocks, blushing furiously at how the human boy described you.

Omake!

Haru was staring out the window, bored and wanting nothing more than to swim but Ama-chan had requested them to move some stuffs to the faculty's office.

Suddenly, Gou appeared by the hallway. Walking with another girl.

"Gou-chan!" Nagisa called out.

"Kou!" Gou argued, but then she just shook it off and pulled the boys. "Ah yeah. Meet (Your name), she's a new student in my class and I'm showing her around."

"Nice to meet you, (Y/n)-chan. I'm Hazuki Nagisa, but you can call me Nagisa." The blonde introduced.

"Tachibana Makoto." A tall one said, taking your hand in his for a handshake.

You stared at the 3rd one who seemed to be in his own world as he stared out the window, but you already knew him. Well, just his nickname anyway.

'Haru, was it?'

Nagisa nudged him by his elbow though and he jerked back to reality. When he finally he turned to look, his eyes widened as he stared at you. His lips slowly moved as he formed words slowly.

"Water... Beautiful water..."

_____

a u t h o r ' s n o t e:
tell me your thoughts in the comments section.