Chapter 1: "James"

^Photo kind of like Alex's loft^

Alex's Pov;

"Alex! Come here right now!" The voice yelled out to me, echoing across the private estate that I lived on.

I hurried to my feet, fixing the collar of my shirt and short blonde/brown quaffed hair. I walked to the voice, that just happened to belong to my step father, Garret.

My father passed away when I was 8 due to a car crash. The whole thing devastated my mom. I of coarse only being eight, didn't really understand at the time that my father wouldn't be returning home from work that day. That my dad wouldn't return from work any day. five months later my mom had already met another guy and was expecting a child. This was all too fast for my liking. They were soon married and that's how I ended up here. Things were fine at first, until I came out to them as gay at the age of 10. I know what you're going to say. 'He's only 10, how would I know what I want?' That's exactly what they told me, but I just knew. They shamed me for it, started acting like I didn't exist, moved me out to the loft, homeschooled me, told everyone I had passed away. Extreme right? To them, I wasn't their son. I was just someone to clean up after them but most of all a burden.

I stood up straight and looked above him, not making eye contact. He didn't like it when I looked directly at him.

"Yes sir?" I replied politely. Don't be rude. Don't be rude. played over and over in my head.

"What is this?" He gestured towards his cup on the side table beside his leather chair.

I looked at it confused.

"Your cup?" I replied questionably. "-Sir." I added after a second or two.

He picked it up and examined the cup. "yes and?"

"umm..." I was confused.

"What else?" He urged on and it started to irritate me. I need to calm down, now is not the time to be a smart ass. You see I have a problem with keeping my mouth shut sometimes which often ends badly.

"It's just a plain, empty, glass cup?" I added. What was he getting at?

"Exactly. Why is it empty?" He stared at me with his cold eyes, like I was an idiot.

"Because you drank it..." I said slowly so he could possibly process the information.

"and why is it still empty?" He gestured the glass towards me.

What he was trying to say ringed a bell in my head. He was implying on me filling up his drink. Couldn't he just reach over to the bottle literally 2 feet away from him on the coffee table and pour himself another glass? I sighed knowing that if I didn't he'd lock me in my room again.

I grabbed his glass obediently and the bottle filling the cup generously. I handed it back to him and stood upright again.

"I asked for ice." He glared at me. What? no he didn't? He just asked me why his cup was empty and that was it. I didn't protest just grabbed 3 ice cubes and plopped them in his drink.

"is that all Sir?" I asked hoping that he'd let me go back to my room.

"Yes, you are excused." He waved his hand as if I was his personal butler or something. but nope that's not the case... just his step son that he pretends doesn't exist.

I began to walk towards the door to outside and paused when he spoke again.

"Oh and I almost forgot, we will be having a student staying with us during the summer to care for the garden. He will be arriving tonight. I'd like it if you made it so you are seen very little if at all. If he asks, you are our cousin visiting for the summer. It'd be best if you acted like you didn't exist, your good at that aren't you?" He smirked as if that was an insult, when in reality it only made him seem like an arrogant asshole.