Chapter Five: Finally Some Answers

Start from the beginning

“Sorry to keep you. First things first, Briathos?” Remiel steps to the side. A tall lanky man walks around him.

“ Good evening Liam, Ms. Devin.” The man extends his hand to me. “I am Briathos, the angel who thwarts demons. AKA your boss.” He raises my hand to his lips.

“Charmed, I’m sure. Remiel, is this why you wanted to see me?” I tap my foot impatiently.

“Not the only reason my dear, I assure you. Now, moving right along, Briathos has some information to share with us about your foster parents. Please, sit.”Remiel takes a seat at the corner of the table.

Deciding that it’s better to trust his judgment for now, I take the seat next to him. Liam sits next to me and Briathos walks to the front of the room.

“As you know, my reapers removed you from your foster home because they felt you were in danger there.” Briathos waits for my nod and continues, “I sent to have your foster parents brought in for questioning.  They are fine, but I have some bad news. It turns out that they are not who they say they are.”

I jump out of my seat, “What did you do to them? They’re good people,” I hiss through clenched teeth.

“Be calm Alanna.” Remiel places a hand on my wrist and I immediately sit back down. “Briathos has done nothing to them. I am sure that they were good people, but now they are under demonic control.”

I feel the tears begin to run, “Do you have proof?” Liam reaches to put his arm around me but I shrug away.

Do not get attached to her, Reaper,” Briathos snarls in a very un-angelic way.

Briathos,” Remiel stands and pulls me behind him. “You were given a mandate. You must abide by it.”

“I will not have one of my reapers getting involved with her kind,” Briathos continues to snarl.

Suddenly, the room is engulfed in a bright flash of light. “Enough,” a voice booms. When my vision clears, an angel clothed in full armor is standing at Briathos’ side. “Briathos, our Father requests your presence now.”

“Yes Michael.” Briathos bows quietly. He shoots a glare in my direction before disappearing.

“What the He-” I start, but with one quick look from Remiel I bit my tongue. “What…uh….what was that all about? What did he mean, ‘one of my kind’?”

“It’s alright Remiel. Allow her to speak her mind.” Michael walks to the head of the table. “I am Archangel Michael, field commander of God’s army.”

“Thank you. Can you answer any of my questions?” I walk up and offer him my hand.

Michael looks as if I have offered for him to take a snake, “I am sorry for the way my brother spoke to you. I would love to stay here and explain everything to you, but I am charged with many other duties. If you’ll allow, I trust Remiel to take that task. I am sorry I cannot speak longer.”

“You must forgive my brother Lanna. He does not touch mortals unless the Father commands it.” Remiel explains. “I will do as you request Michael.”

“Very well. Alanna, Liam, Brother. I have been summoned.” Michael bows with a polite smile and disappears.

“Why don’t I show you?” Remiel says as he walks to the door.

Let us go!” They shout. “Lilith will not stand for this. She will find the girl.”

I’m looking into an interrogation room through a one way mirror. There, what used to be my foster parents have destroyed the inside of the room ten times over. “But they weren’t like this.” I can feel the tears begin to well up. Remiel had explained my heritage and what happened with the Huffman’s to me, but I didn’t believe him until now. “How long?”

“Around the day school started. We can send you back to your life. You can go back to school and act as if nothing has changed, but…”Remiel sighs, “I fear you cannot go alone. We will have to change a lot of memories of the past few months. The Huffman’s will be dead to the world.”

“I can go back. They’ll have to emancipate you. I can train you at night.” Liam offers with a small smile.

“How long have we been away?” I challenge.

“About a week. Adrian is still attending the school and it would be easy to change the staff and students memories.” Liam chimes.

Oh my God! You like school, don’t you?” I laugh. “I never pegged you as a geek, but I guess you did call yourself a nerd.”

“Taking my education seriously is part of the job. We have to stay aware of the world around us. How else can we continue to fit in?” Liam shakes his head, “Plus I would love to see you try out for the cheerleading squad.”

“Liam.” Remiel takes my hands. “Lanna, if you would really like to try out for the cheerleading squad, you may. Please, heed my warning. If you make the team, you must remain under the radar. The demons will be looking for you now. They are not likely to check the place you were last spotted, but if you start making a spectacle of yourself…”He sighs.

“I understand. I don’t want to join any teams right now anyway,” I smile. I truly didn’t want to be on any teams. Not even this one.

“Good. Now I don’t have to say no to you joining.” Adrian chimes as she waltzes in.

“Let me guess, captain!?!” I look over Adrian’s flawless figure.

“Of course! Why settle when you can have everything you ever wanted.” Adrian laughs.

“Adrian…do not endanger her. We will be watching.” Remiel demands.