Chapter Four: Let the training begin...sorta

This chapter is dedicated to one of my most loyal readers. Thanks for your encouragement. You inspired me to continue this story. Sorry if it's a little short.

Having finished my Pop tarts, I follow hallway after hallway with Adrian hot on my heels. I reach a door marked Stairs, “Well, he said that I was to meet him downstairs. Are you sure you don’t want to help me out?” I ask quietly before walking through the door and looking  down. “That’s a lot of stairs.” My eyes go wide.

“Do you even know which floor you’re supposed to meet him on?” Adrian chimes in behind me. “I guess now you really are a lost puppy.” She laughs. I spin around to hit her, but she disappears before my fist can connect.

Deciding that it’s not worth my time to acknowledge her, I start down the stairs hoping for a sign. I focus my thoughts on the distinct energy pattern that I’ve picked up from Liam. “Now where are you?” I whisper to myself. I feel a hum of energy coming from below me but before I can lock on to it, it’s gone. “Thanks for all the help.” I grumble as I continue down the stairs.

“Use your powers.” I hear Liam’s voice echoing through the stairwell. “You can do more than track energy.”

“I don’t know how.” I shout to the bottom. “I thought that was the point behind training me.”

“You also wanted to eat instead of learn. Now you have to give if you want to get.” I can hear the smile in Liam’s voice. It sounds like velvet in the night. “What else do you know how to do? I know you must have discovered more of your powers since you were reborn.”

“I don’t know. I can start fires with my mind but I can’t control them. I can send my thoughts to others. Sometimes I pick up on what others are thinking or feeling. That’s it though.” I decide to try my luck. The worst that will happen is I’ll break a bone. I jump down the middle of the stairwell. I should land in a squat, but I’ve never tried it from the 18th floor. Just as I reach the second floor, I see Liam jump across the stairwell. He catches me landing gracefully on the ground floor.

“You know you’re kinda crazy.” He huffs with a disapproving look on his face.

“What? I’ve done worse.” Okay, so maybe I haven’t. He doesn’t need to know that.

“How long has it been since you jumped down a stairwell?” He asks me seriously.

“I…well…I haven’t. But I’ve jumped off of the top of my uncle’s barn.” I stutter and immediately regret it.

“You could have killed yourself. We can still die Red. And if we die, especially like that, we don’t go to heaven. Count your blessings that you get a second chance.” He stares deeply into my eyes.

“Are you guys gonna train already?” Adrian appears behind him and shoots daggers at me with her eyes.

“Go away Re. I’ve been instructed to work with her alone today.” Liam growls.

Adrian’s daggers bring me out of my trance. “You can put me down.” I push at his shoulders and he ceremoniously drops me on my rump. “Ow!

“As you wish.” He smiles and starts back up the stairs. “Keep up or I’ll make you find me again.”

I immediately jump off of the floor and chase after him up the stairs.

Omnipotent Point of View

Earlier that day:

“Remiel, I wish to speak to you before you return to the reaper compound.” Michael strolls towards a small office.