Chapter Thirty-Five

After getting back from the Mall of America, Harry and Lucy hadn't talked much. Lucy had taken a shower and Harry had a book. Eventually he went into his room and shut the door, having a long talk on the phone presumably with his brother. Lucy didn't awake to listen as she curled into bed and slept.

In the early morning, Lucy left a note out for Harry, telling him she would be back later. Sydney had gotten home from college, and Lucy opted to hang out with her old friend today. This was what the note said.

Her backyard wasn't fenced and another person's backyard conjoined with hers. If she passed through the backyards and in between the houses, she would get to a street and Sydney waited for her there. The snow had condensed enough that it was now sturdy enough to be stood upon. Lucy had lived in Minnesota her whole life and she was aware not to stand.

After noticing the coast was clear, with all paparazzi in front of her house, Lucy bolted forward, dashing across the snow and through the streets. She ran up the slippery hill and came out on the other side of the houses. Sydney sat in the car awaiting her friend.

Lucy got into the car and slammed the door close.

Sydney only turned down the music for a second. "Was it bad last night?"

Rolling her eyes, Lucy put on her seat belt and looked outside, biting her tongue.

Sydney blared the music again and peeled out of the parking spot. The last thing Lucy wanted was the paparazzi knowing where she was going.

Lucy had called Sydney a few days ago, asking when her red-headed friend might be home, and then she explained the situation. Sydney jumped on immediately, willing to help anyway possible. Lucy had no doubts. Sydney was always willing to help with her too big of heart. Also, after Lucy's explanation, Sydney jumped into action. These two girls had grown up together. When they were children, they played house together. They couldn't have said each other's favorite colors but they knew the dark stuff, the fucked-up stuff.

Wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses, Lucy kept her head down as they entered the large hospital. The two women kept their heads down as they moved into the gynecologist's office, and then they were alone. Today was not the day for many women to be having their genitals checked.

After filling out a few forms, Lucy was immediately taken into the back. Sydney had brought a book, which she took out and read. Sydney had read a hundred pages before Lucy came out, with a pain stricken face. Sydney instantly stood, fear creeping in. Lucy looked like she might vomit. Giving her thanks, Lucy put on her hat and sunglasses, which Sydney followed suit until they got out to the car.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Sydney asked, hands on the steering wheel.

"Please drive," Lucy whispered.

Sydney drove.

The old friends stopped at a Caribou Coffee to eat and get coffee. Sydney shed her extra clothing, while Lucy took only her sunglasses off. The women nibbled on their food. Sydney didn't push Lucy to speak about what happened, knowing her friend well enough.

"How about Harry and you?" Sydney tried for some conversation. "Has that been going well?"

Lucy swallowed her food. "He knew I was keeping something from him. He's pissed about it." She sipped her ice-cold drink. "Let's talk about something else: how's the boyfriend?"

Sydney immediately blushed. "He's great." Her words were quick as she gushed about him. Sometimes her cheeks would turn pink if she said something really juicy. Her eyes were incredibly light as she spoke about him.

"Do you think he could be the one?" Lucy wondered.

Blushing again, she stuttered, "I think so." Her blue eyes swept right and left. "Do you think he could be the one?"