Chapter 3

Written by Moh (jasongrace567)

Harry Potter

            “The only thing I missed about this place,” Ron said, digging into a steak-and-kidney pie, “was the food.”  Hermione made a small noise of disgust when he started eating ravenously (as always.), ignoring the odd looks he was receiving.

            Harry was surprised and somewhat shocked by the number of students returning to Hogwarts to repeat their seventh and sixth years in a proper fashion. Apparently, Mrs. Weasley hadn’t been alone in wanting Ron to go back to Hogwarts; he saw many familiar faces. Ginny, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Seamus Finnigan, Dean Thomas, the Patil twins, Lavender Brown (who had recovered from being attacked by the savage werewolf, Fenrir Greyback.), and even Draco Malfoy, who looked sullen as usual at the Slytherin table.

            “The Carrows’ regime must've been worse than we realized,” he said in a low voice. “Look at all these people coming back to redo things.”

            “I expected they would,” Hermione said matter-of-factly, cutting up her steak neatly. The familiar clamor of the Great Hall was music to Harry's ears; he had forgotten how homely it now felt after nearly seven years. “I doubt anyone really got a proper education last year.”

            “Can't believe Malfoy’s got the guts to show his slimy face again,” Ron said scathingly, sending the Slytherin table a withering look. He took another large bite of the chicken leg he held in his hand and swallowed before adding, “I wonder who’s doing Defense Against the Dark Arts this year. The job can't still be cursed, can it?”

            “He's decent now, Ron,” Hermione chided, also glancing at Malfoy. “Don’t forget, he lied to Bellatrix, remember?”

            “A poisonous toadstool doesn’t change its spots,” Ron said sagely, through a mouthful of chicken. He swallowed and said, “I refuse to believe Malfoy’s going to be doing us any good this year.”

            “I want to know who’ll be teaching Defense,” Harry said, interrupting whatever Hermione had been about to say to Ron about Malfoy. “It better be someone good. Mind you, I wouldn’t mind if it was someone from the Order, either. At least they know what they're doing.”

            “I'm sure McGonagall has thought it through,” Hermione said dismissively. “She’ll be the best Headmaster Hogwarts could have after Dumbledore, I expect.” The three of them looked up at the staff table, where Headmistress McGonagall was delicately eating a chicken leg and talking to Professor Sprout, who was next to her.

            “The seat for Defense is still empty,” Harry said, his gaze sliding down the table to the chair next to Hagrid, who waved merrily at them, obviously assuming Harry was looking at him. Grinning, Harry waved back with Ron and Hermione. “Maybe she didn’t find anyone.”

            “I doubt that,” Ron said. “People were clamoring for the job this year, according to Dad.”

            “Why?” Harry said in surprise. “Surely they wouldn’t want the job after the Carrows had it?”

            “It’s common knowledge that Harry Potter is back at Hogwarts,” Hermione said plainly, not looking at him. “You made the front page. Again.”

            He scoffed and stabbed into his steak viciously, ignoring the odd looks he received when the table shook slightly from the force he used. “Of course.”