Chapter 9

[Freshly edited July 28th, 2021.]

Wildas woke feeling more rested than he had in a while, and completely pain-free.

Coulta had said he'd be pain-free for one day. Then he'd die. He'd bleed to death. Tomorrow.

He struggled against the blankets covering him, panicking. A firm hand almost immediately pressed down on his shoulder, making him fight even harder.

"Calm down! You're safe! We got you the counter-poison in time!"

Wildas stopped struggling and took a good look at the person holding him. The young woman wasn't one of the usual court healers, but she looked vaguely familiar. "Myri?" he asked, attempting to grasp the hazy memories of the last few days. She certainly looked like the younger healer from Windwick.

She nodded, smiling fleetingly. "They allowed me to heal you because I had the other ingredients." There was a pointed cough from somewhere behind her and she removed her hand from his shoulder. "Under guard, of course," she grumbled.

Wildas looked around her and noted with relief that he was in his own bedchamber. He also saw a member of the Royal Guard standing by the door, just removing his hand from his sword hilt. Wildas gestured to him and said, "Don't worry about her. I need to speak to the Second King."

The Guardsman bowed, though he cast a hesitant glance at Myri. "Yes, Your Highness," he finally said before leaving.

"Where's Coulta?" Wildas asked Myri. "And wasn't someone else with us?"

The healer nodded, pulling her tangled black hair to one side of her face. "Anil was allowed to take care of the horses we brought from Windwick. I don't know where she is now. Coulta..." She took a deep breath and the pause filled Wildas with dread. "They arrested him. He didn't fight them, so I think he must be safe. I assume they wouldn't do anything to him before you could speak for him."

Wildas let out a heavy breath. "No, they wouldn't. Not if he went willingly. But why?"

Myri shook her head. "I don't know. It happened as soon as we arrived."

"How long ago?"

She glanced out the window. "We arrived just after dusk. It's late morning now."

The Second King arrived then, and looked surprised to see Myri trying to give him a passable curtsy. "Did you stay here all night?" he asked.

Myri nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"It's 'Highness'," he corrected patiently. "Only the Grand King is 'Majesty'. Keeps the court from getting fussy."

"I apologize."

Shelton waved a hand. "It's not that important at the moment."

A servant entered carrying a tray, and only then did Wildas realize how hungry he was. After not eating in days, he thought he might even eat the core of the apple that was resting beside the plate of meat and eggs. The boy bowed after he set the tray down on the bedside table, but before he could go, Shelton stopped him.

"Thank you. Could you also show this healer to a guest room?"

"There are no guest rooms prepared, Your Highness," the boy stammered.

"Then, please show her to a guest room, start a fire in the hearth, and ensure that it promptly prepared. See that she is given breakfast, hot bath water, and a few sets of clothing."

The boy bowed. "I will, Your Highness." Turning to Myri he said, "Please, come with me."

She gave the Second King a curtsy and thanked him before she followed the servant to the door.