Chapter 18

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 2, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

The last thing Wildas wanted to do six days later was attend the ball his father had planned as a way for all the available young men and women to meet and charm him. The only change he'd gotten Grand King Deandre to make was to allow Coulta to attend.

"He's afraid you'll scare people away from me," he grumbled to Coulta on their way to the Great Hall. "So he would rather you protect me from a distance."

Coulta nodded. "I understand."

"But please find me from time to time," Wildas added. "I hate these parties." 

He felt ridiculous dressed as a fancy piece of the court, wearing the uncomfortable flowing blue silk shirt and the decorative tan breeches with blue stitching down the outsides of the legs. He'd shaved and left his wavy chestnut hair down, making it difficult to see the sapphire earrings he was wearing, per Queen Yvona's request. His shoes were practically mirrors and he wore rings on each hand.

He envied Coulta. His protector had been given nicer clothes for the night; a black silk shirt and black breeches with silver cording along the outer seams. He'd even gotten new boots that were perfectly polished. He had his hair pulled back in a tight tail and didn't have to wear any jewelry. He was even permitted to carry his sword, though he had been given a new belt that was of a heavily polished leather matching his boots.

"You should go in first," Wildas said when they got to the side entrance of the Hall.

Coulta nodded and went inside. Wildas sighed heavily and followed a few moments later. All his parents were already there, and Deandre dragged him over to meet several potential spouses who Wildas quickly determined had no potential for him.

It was a long time before he could escape the clutches of the obnoxiously flirtatious men and women and find a spot on the balcony to relax. He looked down at the guests, who were, not surprisingly, starting to become more interested in each other than they were in him. There were already several couples dancing to the music of the minstrels his father had arranged for the night.

He was scanning the crowd for Coulta when someone suddenly came to stand beside him. Expecting Coulta, he turned and smiled, only to realize it wasn't him, but another man he recognized. His smile faltered. Ashnil was the youngest son of the Grand King's distant cousin living outside the Ryal farmlands, and he'd been after Wildas's hand for years. He was dressed impeccably as always, this time in black pants and a shimmering green shirt that seemed to accentuate his movements. As lean as the man was, Wildas thought it made him look like a snake. He wore gold earrings and a few gems glittered on his fingers. His black hair was pulled partially back and his green eyes held nothing but desire for power.

"It's a good party," Ashnil commented in his silky-smooth voice, handing Wildas a cup of wine.

When Coulta didn't magically appear from the shadows and knock it away from him, Wildas took the cup with a nod. "Thank you."

"You still haven't made any choices yet?" Ashnil asked, standing at the railing next to Wildas with his own wine.

"No," Wildas replied and took a sip from his cup before adding, "but I have a few in mind."

"Oh? Who are you considering?"

Wildas took another sip and tried to stall. "I'd rather not share names just yet."

Ashnil made use of the shadows on the balcony to run his hand down Wildas's back, making Wildas shiver in discomfort. The other man seemed to take it as a sign of pleasure and ran his hand across Wildas's lower back.