The Obligatory Author's Note

- n o t   p a r t   o f   t h e   s t o r y ,   y o u   c a n   s k i p -

Hello there, and thank you for opening up Tea With A Sociopath! I just have a few opening words before you begin, but I know that most everyone is going to skip this regardless. But, you know, there are some things I just want to go ahead and say.

Yes, indeed, I am finally writing a fanfiction that isn't Doctor Who! Yay! This story focuses on my OC, Emma Newman, who you will get to know very well in the first chapter. Just wait and see, I think you'll like her. Or, perhaps not. Either of which might be a good thing for me.

In terms of when this takes place, I think it begins between The Hounds of Baskerville and before The Reichenbach Fall, closer to Hounds. I'm actually planning for the story to go through the events of Reichenbach with Emma integrated into the story, so you can see how she fits in. Of course, I might be stretching out time quite a bit, but, you know. Who cares? It's fanfiction, and I have the right to do that.

Now, onto something else, something I'm not sure just how to describe. I've found that most Sherlock fanfictions with a female OC all seem to have the same base for the character. They tend to be gorgeous enigmas with the mind of a genius to rival or even beat Sherlock Holmes's. There's nothing wrong with that, I've read my share of those stories and they tend to be great. But at the same time, I don't need to add to that bookshelf which is already stuffed.

I won't lie, when I first got the idea for Emma, she was going to be a quirky, eccentric, witty, and quite smart. I didn't know what I was going to do with her, but the character stayed in my head. I gave her a name, and found her an actress. That's when everything changed. After choosing Charlotte Salt to portray Emma's character, she changed dramatically. I thought Charlotte didn't look the part. But instead of changing the actress, Emma became a completely different person. Her personality nearly flip flopped over. 

Emma was now rather dull, with more of a sense for fashion than for brains. But underneath all of that, she was hiding secrets. Secrets which you're just going to have to carry on to find out, hehe! Soon enough, I became obsessed with my character. Of course, this ended up causing problems for me later on (cough cough, character block), but it was wonderful for a long time.

This change in Emma ended up sparking the actual plot of Tea With A Sociopath. I suddenly had ideas for what I wanted to do. That's why even though I've only completed three 2500-word chapters, the word count for this story is just about at 20,500. That's about 40% of a novel, a fairly short novel, but a novel nevertheless. Let's just say, it's going to be an interesting ride.

My plan for this story is to have thirty chapters, each at approximately 2500 words. This is quite a bit longer than any complete story I've ever written (it's actually 50% longer, if you're wondering) but I think I have enough ideas to push myself through it. Unless something happens, this should be updated every Saturday with a new chapter.

Yes, this is PG-13. There will be some language, some violence, and some adult themes. But it's Sherlock, so what were you really expecting? 

Now, let's close this off with a disclaimer. I do not own any characters, locations, etc. from the BBC show Sherlock, nor the original Sherlock Holmes novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. All is copyrighted to its respective owner However, Emma Newman and her story is of my own creation and therefore shall be treated as such.

Thank you if you read through all of this, haha!

-Rain