i wonder where his date is. he can't leave a little girl like that just wandering around an event with professionals.

"i have to go talk to someone, but i'll meet your boyfriend later." johnson speaks up at me and i nod my head, waving him off.

"i just need you to admit that you slept with my best friend and i'll be gone." he tells me.

"you're not getting that because i didn't sleep with him. i feel bad for your date because you're probably monitoring her every move. if she even dared to look at a man, you'd accuse her of sleeping with him." i scowl.

i pinch the bridge of my nose in exasperation and jack's eyes linger and follow my hand.

"why do you wear a ring on your wedding finger?" his eyebrows pull together.

"so people know that i'm taken." i reply, annoyed with all of his questions.

this isn't an interrogation.

"it was nice seeing you. i got to see how you were doing these past four years and how you've held up." jack continues.

"yeah, well. it'll stay that way if you continue to stay out of my life. you know, the first year being a divorcee wasn't easy."

"how do you think it was for me? how embarrassed i was knowing that my wife slept with my best friend because i wasn't good enough."

"you know that i didn't sleep with him. you know that and that's why you probably also accused me of being a gold digger." i grip my clutch harder, becoming angry.

"you are a gold digger."

"i make my own money." i emphasize. "but that doesn't matter now. it was good we split because why would i want to stay with someone who can't trust me?"

he opens his mouth to say something, but i cut him off. he was probably going to see something idiotic.

"you should've gotten me tested to see if there were any traces of jack johnson on me. now you probably regret letting go of the best thing that's ever happened to you."

"you think you're all high and mighty don't you?" jack questions.

i lower my voice, "you knew me better than anyone else. you be the judge of that."

*

"we're going to be busy the next few months because i hooked it up with a lot of people tonight." braxton proudly smiles, obviously feeling accomplished.

"really? that's great." i smile, taking off my heels as we step outside.

"put your shoes back on. you're going to step on something." he says concerned.

"i'll be fine. it can't hurt as bad as these heels."

"want me to carry you?" he asks, setting his suit jacket over my shoulders.

"you're a such gentleman, brax."

"what can i say?" he grins.

"octavia!" johnson singsongs, making me turn my head. "is this the man who mended your heart?"

"it is indeed." i laugh. "braxton, this is jack johnson. a friend of mine and johnson, this is my boyfriend braxton miller."

they hit it off right away, talking about business. their voices attract some peoples attentions outside of the venue and i smile. actually thankful that braxton isn't being all possessive in front of johnson.

"it was nice seeing you tonight." clara calls out to me, waving goodbye.

"you too!" i reply.

"octavia benson is that you?" a deep voice says.

i look for the source of the sound and i knew it sounded awfully familiar. david gilinsky.

"mr. gilinsky." i smile, slipping my shoes on. "hello."

"i haven't seen you in ages."

"would've thought that you hated me by now."

"how could i? because of jack's stupid reasoning? i really do want you to know that i don't believe you slept with jack johnson. you two are too kind to do that. jack lost someone wonderful"

"why does everyone keep saying that?" jack mutters, standing beside his father.

the resemblance is insane. i keep the smile on my face and my eyes on david.

"you see that man talking to jack johnson?" david asks jack. "i talked to him earlier and we're going to collaborate."

"no way. that's my boyfriend, braxton. we share the company." i laugh at the coincidence, trying to ignore the fact that i most likely have to work with my ex husband.

"your boyfriend?" david raises his eyebrows. "he is an astounding young man."

he is. jack looks around, balling his fists as if he can't take hearing his father compliment my boyfriend.

"i guess i'll see you soon, yeah?"

"of course, mr. gilinsky. have a good rest of your night." i wave him off, still not looking directly at jack's face.

braxton and i say our goodbyes and hop into the car. i take my heels off once again, slouching my back against the seat.

"click it or ticket." braxton jokes, making me groan.

i put on my seatbelt and then close my eyes. the soft sound of music runs through the car.

"i'll carry you inside when we get home." braxton informs me, placing his hand on my thigh.

i lick my lips, "what would i do without you?"

{vote, comment, share}