Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

            “Hey,” I say, stuffing my own hands in my pocket.

            He looks like he’s breathing in the air and then turns to me. His face isn’t really telling me read him. “Hi,” Lee replies, puffs appearing when he talks.

            I’m not much of a talker so we just settle with that instead of making it any more awkward and walk to the entrance in step. After we get inside, I grab a cart with Mark and start going through my mind what the fridge needs. We definitely need some milk, bread, and eggs – the usual first.

            Mark and I drive the cart together while Lee trails behind.

            “We’re going to need some coffee, too,” I tell Mark and he turns the cart towards the coffee section. Speaking of coffee, I should get some right now. “You get the coffee and creamer, I’ll go grab some breakfast for us.” Mark nods, grinning.

            Thankfully, Wal-mart is part of a strip mall, and on the other end, there is Dunkin Donuts. I pull my coat tighter around me and step outside in the cool air. I think I have enough money for the groceries and breakfast put together. Digging into my pocket, I have about ten dollars and a couple of change left for Dunkin Donuts. It’s enough for a couple of coffees and maybe even some bagels.

            “Ivory!”

            I turn around. Lee is jogging up to me after walking out of the store. His cheeks are lightly red and his long legs make it so he reaches me within a quick second. He looks undeniably handsome but that’s not what’s important right now.

            “What?” I ask, putting on my most non-caring face. I just want to walk inside Dunkin Donuts and melt under the heat, not stand out here in the cold.

            “Where are you going?”

            I roll my eyes. “I’m going to Dunkin Donuts.” I nudge my head over to the direction of the store. “Getting some coffee for us.”

            “Oh,” he says, his eyes not on my face. Suddenly he steps closer and his hands are reaching up to my face. I start reddening and back away from him. “Calm down, I’m not going to choke you.” Somehow I just stop pushing him away. He could be actually about to kill me but I would let him and take him for his word.

            I’m stupid like that.

            Lee steps close again and I mean really close. Like I can feel his cold breath against my nose (due to my short height, I might add). He brings his hands up again and touches my scarf. His eyes are unreadable but are a dark shade of blue. He stares at my eyes and then lowers his gaze. Lee readjusts my scarf so it’s properly covering my neck. At the last moment, he covers my lips with the scarf too. Like he can’t stand them.

            “You’re—” he coughs, clearing his husky voice, “—going to catch a cold. At least wear your scarf properly.”

            I nod silently, my cheeks red and it’s not from the cold. Did we just have a moment? Why does he make me feel all warm and mushy on the inside? I need to stop. I’m only going to get hurt again.

            Hurt flashes his eyes as I turn away from him.

            I have breakfast to get.

            My stomach rumbles at the thought and I walk to Dunkin Donuts. I hear the small clacks of Lee following me close behind. Food over boys any day.