Ch. 1 - Professional Babysitter

Start from the beginning

"Hi!"

"Hello," I say and give him a little wave. "What's your name?"

"Ethan!" he answers excitedly and waves his hands all around. "Come!"

I step in, placing my suitcase on the floor next to me. Ethan shuts the door and sprints into another room, yelling, "nanny here!"

I glance around the foyer. Surprisingly, the feel of the house is quite cozy. I was expecting high-ceilings and a fancy chandelier and decorations that looked too expensive to breathe on. Instead, the yellow walls are covered in artwork from little kids and pictures of the kids and family. There are stains on the walls, just like any house. Toys are scattered on the floor, crumbs as well.

There's a large picture of the family on one wall. They are all in a dog-pile, smiles on their faces. It makes me smile for some reason.

Following Ethan, the faces from the picture walk into the foyer.

Mrs. Kennedy is the first to stick out her hand. "Hello, Ivy. It's nice to finally meet you in person."

I shake her hand. "You as well, Mrs. Kennedy."

"Please, call me Lena," she says softly. "Kids, why don't you introduce yourselves?"

A brown-haired boy with freckles on his cheeks is the first to speak. "I'm Jonas."

"I'm Addison," a girl says, her brown eyes standing out from her dark skin.

"I'm Rosie," a small redhead says and points to her twin sister. "That's Crystal."

"Ethan!" Ethan says and jabs his thumb into his chest even though he has already been introduced.

Lena picks up a crawling baby from the floor. "This is the baby Bethany. She speaks her own language, but it is easy to pick up on."

I nod and take her little hand in mine and wiggle it a little. "Hi, Bethany."

"Oh!" Lena gasps. "Where's Elliott? Elliott!" She stands at the bottom of the stairs and calls his name again. "Elliott!"

"He's not home, mom," Addison informs. "He left to hang out with Flynn."

Lena sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. "I have to leave for the airport in less than an hour. I will not leave the country without a kiss from each of my kids. Jonas, call Flynn and tell him to get my son back here right now." She hands the baby to Addison. "Follow me, Ivy. I'll show you where you'll be staying."

I nod and follow her upstairs. She leads to what I assume is a guest room. "Addison's room is right down there with the 'A' on the door. She'll be your go-to with any problems."

"Okay." I take a mental note of that and place my suitcase on the bed. "Now, she's the second oldest?"

"Yes. Elliott is your age. Addison is going to be a freshman in high school. Jonas will be in eighth grade. The twins are going into third grade. Ethan is just starting pre-school. Beth just turned one last month."

I try to take it all in, but the information moves to fast. I'll get it down eventually. "Alright."

"I'll give you a quick tour of the house and then you can spend time with the kids while I get ready to leave," she says and claps her hands together.

She shows me each of the kids' rooms before going downstairs to take me through the kitchen, the living room, the family room. We move to the basement, which is really just one huge playroom. There are toys in every corner. Video games, air hockey, a pool table, huge tv, it's the ultimate hangout area.