. Chapter 6 .

Cas awoke the next day, hair in his face and a familiar smell filling him.

He brought the young boy in his arms closer, and Dean snuggled into the touch.

"Cas." He felt a hand shake his shoulder, and he looked to his side.

Jody looked down at him and motioned for him to quietly follow her.

He got up slowly, Dean wrapping his arms around him firmly.

"No, Cas..." He said sleepily, before dropping to sleep again.

Cas smiled lovingly at him and bent over to kiss his forehead.

"So what's up?" Cas whispered, once he had met with everyone else downstairs in the living room.

"We think we may have found the cure." Bobby said, going straight to the point.

Cas' eyes widened. "Really? What is it?"

"You need to confess each other." Gabriel said from his perch on the arm of the couch, yet another sucker in his mouth.

"Confess what?" Cas asked, tipping his head to the side, no idea what the adults were trying to get at.

"Your, uh...how do you feel towards Dean?" Sam struggled out, and Cas thought as he sat down on the floor, crossing his legs.

"He's... he's my friend and I care about him greatly. Why? How am I supposed to feel?"

Sam and Bobby looked at each other for a few seconds, then came to a silent decision.

"Uh, well, it doesn't matter...it actually isn't the cure, that's for something, uh, different. We'll keep looking though."

Gabriel frowned at Sam's words and Sam sent him a look that lasted longer than Bobby and his silent decision.

Sam searched the golden eyes to not say anything, and eventually, Gabriel just nodded.

Cas didn't notice, luckily.

They all heard a creak on the stairs, and a little voice say, "Was?"

Cas jumped up immediately, going to the stairs, which Dean was already slumping down, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"Hello-" Cas stopped when he saw the tears rolling down Dean's small face.

"Dean? What's wrong?" He asked, crouching on the stair before Dean and wiping away his tears.

"I-I had a wad dweam..." He said, but then shook his head. "Nope. Nope. Me with Was now. It's otay."

Cas frowned, but said nothing as he took the child's hand, leading him down the stars.

Sam's face grew sad, and Gabriel glanced at him, his face crinkling.

Then it hit him.

When Dean and Sam were kids, Dean had to look after the two while their father was away.

That meant if he had nightmares, he would have to help himself to get through it.

His instincts were still there.

Pity welled in Gabriel's chest, but he didn't say anything.

Jody cleared her throat and said, "Well, how about we make some pancakes?"

The three little boys squealed in excitement, Gabriel squealing almost the loudest.

Sam just glanced at him and grinned.

"Come on boys." Bobby said, taking the excited Cas and Dean's hands and leading them up the stairs to get changed.

Another snowball came flying at Cas, but his habit of reflex came in, so he ducked, giggling at Dean.

"Rargh!" He yelled, holding his arms out and chasing after the now squealing younger boy, who ran through the thick snow.

"It's been a week and still nothing's been said or done." Bobby grumbled as he watched the two out the window from the kitchen.

Gabriel frowned from his spot on the chair by the door.

"Maybe we should give them a little push?"

Sam nodded, but didn't look at Gabriel.

The tension still filled the air like gas in a confined place; it had been like that for a while and Jody and Bobby were just about ready to blow both of their brains out.

"Maybe I could give a call to one of my Cupid friends?" Gabriel offered, sucking a chocolate ice cream sucker and pointed to Bobby and Jody with it.

"Yeah. We'll see how they go. In the meantime, I told a hunter friend of mine that I'd get a parcel of of his hands. Someone needs to look after the boys, so could you and Gabriel do it?" Bobby asked, pointing to the two and without waiting for an answer, chucked the Impala's keys at Sam, who caught them.

Sam glanced at Gabriel's wide eyes, and before neither of the two could say anything, Bobby was pushing them out the door.

"It's at the old barn about 50 kilometres from here. You'll see it. Okay, have fun!"

The older man shut the door on their backs, mumbling, "Idjits."

Jody gave him a knowing smile. "You don't really have to get anything, do you?"

Bobby just winked at her.