"What does it mean?" Ladybug asked, with sincere confusion.

"I don't know." Chat Noir extended his staff with a click. "Not sure if I want to."

"We have no choice." Ladybug surged forth again, dodging the insects as they became more numerous throughout the streets. Chat Noir reluctantly followed, batting them out of the air with his staff. They arrived at Adrien's house and looked up at the source of the butterflies.

"Oh, no," Chat Noir mumbled.

"It's the Papillon!" Ladybug realized. "Buy, why is he-" Her pupils contracted in fear. "Watch out!"

She tackled Chat Noir as a mob of butterflies darkened into Akumas and sped towards them. Chat Noir coughed.

"Merci, My Lady."

"You're welcome," Ladybug said, helping him up. "Do you have any idea how to defeat him?"

"No, but getting close might help," he suggested. Ladybug nodded and grabbed him, hurling her yo-yo to the open window of Adrien's house.

They landed gracefully a few feet from Papillon, who turned to face them.

"Ah, Ladybug and Chat Noir. I was wondering when you'd show up."

Chat Noir squinted. Something about Papillon seemed so familiar...

"Papillon, why are you doing this? There's no need for such drastic measures!" Ladybug caught her yo-yo.

"The Akumas weren't working! Time and time again, you two meddlesome idiots foiled my plan. I sent Akuma after Akuma to darken the hearts of everyone in Paris I could manipulate. Your Miraculouses were always right at my fingertips, until you snatched them away! Now, I'm intervening personally. And I refuse to lose your Miraculouses! Mes papillons!"

The white butterflies closed in on Chat Noir and Ladybug.

"We can't be Akumatized, Papillon!" Chat Noir managed.

Something seemed to register in Papillon's eyes.

"That voice..." he murmured.

"What's the point of using your butterflies? They can't do anything to us!" Ladybug added.

"I know that!" Papillon snapped. "I'm not trying to Akumatize you, foolish girl!"

The insects moved closer.

"Ladybug, there's something about Papillon..." Chat Noir muttered. "I feel like..."

"Chat Noir, there's no time for that! We have to defeat him! The butterfly pendant, it must have his kwami!"

"So we destroy it?"

"Yes! Come on, let's get rid of these things!" Ladybug lashed at the butterflies with her yo-yo. Chat Noir spun his staff, repelling them.

"It's not enough!" Chat Noir shot back.

"Use your Cataclysm!"

Chat Noir complied, slicing through the butterflies with his claw. They disintegrated upon making contact with his hand. A pile of dust fell at the duo's feet.

Ladybug walked with confidence towards Papillon, spinning her yo-yo rapidly. "You're done for!"

"I wouldn't speak so soon."

Ladybug realized that Chat Noir was still standing far behind her.

"Chat Noir, what's wrong?"

"Ladybug, I- I know that voice," Chat Noir insisted.