Chapter 10

"There's a masquerade ball being held in the afternoon," Mother told me from where she stood by my bedroom door.

    I sat up on my bed quickly and my eyes widened, surprised and delighted by the news. Mother's eyes were gleaming however, so I told myself to relax as I stared at her. Lately whatever she told me had a catch to it, so I knew not to get my hopes up.

    "Sadly, Philip won't be able to make it," Mother said, bringing a tiny smile to my lips. "He's busy, but you and I will go anyways."

    I nodded and tried to hide my smile. It was too good to be true. It was what I needed after the recent events that happened with Philip. It was perfect. All because I had a good feeling that Alexander would be there.

    Alexander. My heart fluttered at the thought of him, remembering how gorgeous he was. He was graceful and elegant too, and he had taught me to dance. He had fulfilled one of my lifelong dreams, and I would never forget that.

    Grinning, I got up and prepared to get ready. For Alexander, I would try to look beautiful. I wanted him to think I was beautiful.

*****

    Mother and I stepped into the same ballroom as last time and I smiled, amazed by the sight in front of me. Once again the lights were dimmed and pairs were soaring across the dance floor. Everyone looked happy and I remembered why I loved balls. They were just so beautiful.

    "Let's sit down," Mother said, taking my hand in hers.

    She took my hand gently and I thought about how balls were the only time she was ever gentle with me. In front of others, it was the only time I was her wonderful daughter she was proud of. I tried to push that thought aside as we sat down in front of the dance floor - again.

    My eyes drifted to the dance floor and once again, I was mesmerized. I watched a pair dance and smile at each other, which led to me smiling as well. Then thinking about my own dance, I yearned for it again. That was when I thought about Alexander, and my eyes began to roam the room we were in.

    My eyes went to man to man, hoping to spot Alexander. I felt my heart tighten, nerves twisting my gut, and I looked around praying I'd spot him. There was nothing more I wanted to do than get to know the handsome boy I knew I was smitten with.

    But sadly, I didn't spot Alexander. He was nowhere in sight and I slouched in my seat, disappointed. I had been so excited to see him, but he wasn't anywhere to be found. I was disappointed.

    "I'm guessing you're just going to stay here, so I'll be gone for a bit," Mother said, bringing my attention to her. "I'll be with King Henry."

    "Okay," I said, thinking solely about Alexander.

    As she left, I wondered why I was so upset. I barely knew Alexander. I had only ever seen him once. Before meeting him I hadn't been the type to fall easily - or ever actually - so I wondered what it was about Alexander. What made him different than any other guy?

    Sighing, I knew I would never find out. Meeting Alexander had been a fluke and I would never see him again. Our one dance was all I had to remember him by.

    I got up suddenly, tired of brooding. Knowing I should do something, I thought about the cookies at the table and decided to try one. It was better than sitting alone at the table.