Saying Goodbye, District 4

Liam was escorted into the small room. Even though no one was looking at him, he still wouldn't allow himself to cry. It was like he had to prove to everyone that he wasn't weak, but he also had to prove it to himself.

He started to wonder about who would come to see him. His parents would, obviously. And Danielle would come. Brent, Joey, and Nate might.

The door burst open before he could finish the thought. Danielle leaped into his arms, clinging to him. "Please don't go, Liam. Please don't!" she sobbed.

Liam's throat seemed to tighten. "I'm sorry, I have to. There's nothing I can do," he croaked.

Danielle pulled back and stared deep into his eyes before pulling him in and crushing his lips on hers. The kiss was rushed, urgent, filled with desperation, longing, and sorrow. They were clinging to each other, wanting to escape in the kiss, but knowing very well that they couldn't.

The door was pushed open, and Liam's parents hurried in. They stopped when they saw him and Danielle. No one said anything. The silence surrounded them until his father spoke up.

"Danielle, could you give us a minute. Please."

She held back a sob and quickly kissed Liam again. "I love you."

He managed a sad smile. "Don't say it like you're saying goodbye. I love you too. But this isn't goodbye."

She nodded and reluctantly stepped away, exiting the room. His mother rushed over to him. "Oh, Liam! My baby!"

She hugged him and sobbed, "My baby, my sweet, sweet baby..."

A sob caught in his throat. "It's okay, Mom. I promise, it will all be okay."

"You know how to survive. Remember those camping trips?" his father asked, tears in his eyes. Liam nodded. "You can fish, and I taught you to hunt. You can throw a spear, and you're strong."

He walked over to Liam and joined the hug.

The door opened for a third time, and two peace makers walked in.

"I love you guys so much," Liam sobbed. "Tell Brent and Nate and Joey to stay out of trouble."

"Promise us you'll do everything you can to make it back here," his father said.

"I promise."

And then Liam was alone again.