The second quarter

Start from the beginning

3 – 5.

"Since when did you four start working together?" demanded Mayu.

"I don't know. It just sort of happened," admitted Akira.

"Wait... I feel like I'm missing something," muttered Sora, "Why do we always end up getting one person short in the fray? I'm here, Mayu-chan's nearby. Kise-kun... Aomine-kun... That's right; Midorima-kun!"

Midorima was standing just a few steps behind the half-court line. "What are you doing there?" demanded Sora, "We can't even pass to you when you stand there."

"This is my place, nanodayo," he said, adjusting his glasses.

"Since when were we playing zone defense?" said Sora.

"Since the first quarter, Soracchi," reminded Kise.

"I thought we agreed to scratch that plan," said Sora.

"No, it's still a go," said Kise.

"You should listen to Ryouta. He's the captain—" began Akashi.

"Quiet," said Sora.

"So it has come to this..." said Akashi with a sniff.

"You tell me," muttered Akira.

"Midorima-kun, please remain in a range where I can pass to you," said Sora.

"Is it okay, Kise?" said Midorima.

"What, why are you putting this on me?" demanded Kise.

"You're the captain, nanodayo!"

"Since when-su?" moaned Kise.

"Since the first quarter!" said Sora, mimicking Kise.

"I'd love to watch you fight all day—" said Akashi.

"Seijuro!"

"—But the ball is coming into play. All of you shut up," finished Akashi.

The three grudgingly took their positions. Akira was the first with the ball. Aomine blocked her and she passed to Yukiji. Sora predicted the pass and caught the ball. Akashi came to aid Yukiji so she passed the ball to Kise. Sora searched the court for Midorima and found that he had moved two steps in front and no more. She gestured for him to move a bit more forward and he did so.

"Soracchi!" yelled Kise and passed the ball to her. Sora caught the ball and immediately passed the ball backwards when Yukiji came to block her, assuming that Midorima was still in the same position. But unfortunately, Midorima had returned to his own place. The ball hit the ground. Sora had thrown it a bit forcefully because of the distance between them and it exited the court after bouncing and hit the bench.

"No!" exclaimed Sora with her head in her hands.

Akashi chose to resume. He went out of the court and took the ball in his hands. Sora gestured for Midorima to cover Aoba and he did so. Sora took her place in front of Akira.

"Hello, Sora-chan," said Akira.

"Is this the time?" demanded Sora.

"No..." said Akira, who was miffed by her sharp reply.

"Sorry. Things seem to be going south for us," said Sora.

Akashi entered the court after a check. He passed the ball to Yukiji. Yukiji took the ball forward. She tried to pass the ball to Aoba but Midorima was in the way. Aomine blocked Yukiji and so she passed back to Akashi. Mayu tried to block Akashi but he passed her.

"Damn, he's within his range..." muttered Sora as he shot.

3 – 7.

Sora found herself getting more irritated by the second. "Coach? Can we have a time-out?" she said.

Coach shook her head. "Only the captain can call a time-out."

"What? Am I not..." said Sora, her voice trailing off in her confusion.

"Not in this game," said Akashi with a smirk.

"Yeah, right, thank you," said Sora sarcastically, "Kise-kun, can we call a time-out?"

"What? Why?"

"They're four points ahead. They have the flow in their hands. We have no idea what the hell we're doing. Do you need any more reasons?"

"Oh... Whatever I suppose."

"Great! Now ask coach."

"Coach, time-out," said Kise.

"Are you sure, young man?" said coach with a smile.

"Yeah. I am."

"Time-out!" yelled coach with a short blast on her whistle.

The two teams headed towards their benches. "Well, we did do well," said Akira with a smile as they headed back.

"Yeah," said Akashi, "This is our game."

Meanwhile on the other bench, there arose a great question of strategy. "Are we still playing zone defense?" said Sora.

"It's tough for us to switch over, Soracchi. It's sort of programmed in us," said Kise.

"Okay, all in favour of zone defense, raise your hand," said Sora.

"Hold it! We'll lose the vote if you put it like that. There are three of them, remember?" said Mayu.

"Sh*t. I forgot. Thanks..." said Sora.

"You just said it yourself. Majority wins," pointed out Aomine.

"Okay. Let me rephrase. All in favour of losing, raise your hands," said Sora.

"You've got to be kidding me..." said Aomine.

"Look, we're falling behind," said Sora, "We either get killed or evolve."

"What do you propose, Soracchi? I did pass to you," pointed out Kise.

Sora sighed. "Passing doesn't seem to work well enough. We have to come up with properly thought out schemes."

"In this tiny break?" demanded Aomine. As if echoing his words, coach blew the whistle. "Teams! Resume the game."

The two teams walked into the court. "What did we resolve in this small debate?" said Kise.

"I have no idea what just happened. Or what we're going to do," said Sora glumly.

Murasakibara had the ball first. He passed the ball to Akashi who in turn passed to Yukiji. Aomine took the ball from her and passed it to Kise. "Get it to four-eyes," he said.

Just when Kise received the ball, coach blew her whistle. "Second quarter ends! The score is 3 – 7." Sora looked at her in horror. Coach seemed to be suppressing her laughter. No wonder she had grinned from ear to ear when they requested a time-out. It was so stupid to do so just a few seconds before half-time! Kise seemed to be having the same thoughts as he was practically staring at coach. The two teams began to leave the court again.

"Kise-kun, I'm so sorry," said Sora.

"There was nothing you could do," said Kise, hiding his frustration, "I was equally unobservant."

Sora sighed. This was going to one long match.