Chapter 9: Here's the moment

~~~2 years later~~~

  (AUTHORS NOTE! I KNOW ITS A JUMP  BUT IM NOT GONNA WRITE 2 YEARS WORTH OF WORKING OUT... GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT?! THAT'S GREAT, KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT CUZ I AIN'T GONNA VHANGE IT AFTER PUBLISHING... GOTTA LOVE THE MOUNTAINS (IM THERE FOR THE WEEKEND WITH MY GRANDPARENTS AND THEIR KEYBOARD IS WEIRD SO THERE'S GONNA BE SOME TYPOS) LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!)

  I look at myself in the mirror. My light blonde (almost white) hair is down to the middle of my arms. My eyes have turned into a half-blue and half-green color. I'm now 5' 8", and still six inches shorter than Will seeing that he's grown too. Snake had a funeral. All I know is that his gang was there. I showed up because I felt like I had something to do with his death.

  The gang was quiet as I walked up to his coffin. It was black and had his black leather jacket thrown across the top. Someone threw a Monster drink on top of the jacket. Devin didn't show up because, well, he's dead too. He didn't have a funeral because he almost killed me AND Will. I showed up to Snake's funeral with one single rose and an "I'm Sorry!" card. I put the rose in the middle of the card and laid it gently by the jacket. The gang was quiet with solemn looks and bowed heads. I walked away. No tears. No guilt. He's wear he belongs now. I don't know which direction he went in, but I paid my dues, nothing to repay now.

   ~~~Present~~~

  I pull my hair into a pony tail and pull on a t-shirt and shorts. I walk downstairs. It's my eighteenth birthday. I hop down the stairs and then jump onto the worn couch. I flip on the News channel. A lady with dark brown hair in a black suit is on the screen.

  "Breaking News! Soldiers are being sent out to a neighboring country to help fight the war. Volunteers are wanted to fight. Go to your nearby recruiters." The lady nods and it flips back to a guy.

  "Thanks, Caraline. Now! The moment we have waited for awhile to see. A baby zebra is born at the zoo today just 15 minutes ago. They named it-" I press the power button on the TV and pull on my sneakers. I yank open the door and start running to the recruiters. Will is at the movies with a girl and I asked mom to not be at my party, if I even have one.

  The run is atleast 7 miles away but I've ran way more than that now. It reaches 5:47 when I burst into the recruiters office.

  "The Army recruiter is that way." A woman behind a desk points to the direction I went two years ago. I nod my head and walk to the door. I knock and a man opens the door.

  "Is Pedi-Officer ----- here?" I ask. He must be here. Two years should have him still in the office.

"Nah, miss." The man says. He must be at least 27. He has sandy brown hair and a crooked nose. He welcomes me into the room and I sit in the chairs again.

  "My name's Officer -----. Pedi-Officer left a year ago. He retired. Heard the news didn't ya?" He asks. He has an accent I can't quite recognize. I nod my head.

  "I came here two years ago. I'm turning eighteen today. I think I'm reasonable." I say. The man looks me up and down. He stands up from his desk and he grabs my arm. He pulls me into a nearby room and I feel like I'm in the alley again. I stand on a weigh thingy and he tests how long I can run for.

  "Ya good." He says. I'm in! 

  "Someti'n we normally do for recruits is see if they have a loved one fightin'. Got one?" He asks. I shrug. Then my dad hits me.

  "Ya. My dad." I say. Is he alive? It'd be great to know. But do I? I've been waiting three years to who knows how long to know.

  "Name?" He asks.

(AUTHORS NOTE! I'M GONNA USE A REAL NAME FOR THIS AND LETS HOPE IT'S JUST A REALLY RANDOM NAME THAT NO ONE WILL HAVE....HOPE, MY FRIENDS! HOPE!)

  "Jonathan Richard Jr. Dark ." It's been a long time since I have spoken his name. It rolls off of my tongue and it feels different. My heart drops when I say it. I don't even remember what he looks like! Officer ---- types in my dad's name and he releases a big sigh.

  "Madison Dark." He says.

"What?!" I practically shout. Here's the moment.

  "Well is he alive?" I shout this time. I prop myself up on the edge of the chair and wait for his reply....

   He shakes his head.

                  "Shot in combat."