Forever or Never: 22

Beatrice was used to visitors at all hours. She had grown somewhat accustomed to sleeping lightly in case there was ever a need that she'd need to get up in the night to answer the door.

Working for Richard Forrester had run rampant on her sleeping pattern. But she somehow managed to survive with this lifestyle, she couldn't complain, if she complained she was rather sure she would be out of a job.

So of course, when there was rampant knocking on the door at nearly one in the morning, Beatrice leapt from bed, hurriedly dressed in record time and made her way down the servant staircase to get to the small foyer space.

Tucking a stray lock of black hair under her cap, she tentatively moved forwards, brushing a hand down her floor length apron, she removed the lock and opened the door slowly. The chain was still across the door, so in case the person on the other side wasn't friendly, or someone they knew or expected, then she'd slam the door without hesitation.

The last thing she truly expected was to see the man who she had seen with Mercy a few times. She racked her brain to remember his name. She honestly didn't take it upon herself to remember names. She remembered visitors who came for Richard, because they were high end important people; but no offence to Mercy, but her friends were few and far between that remembering names was practically an idiotic task to undertake.

The male looked at her with narrowed blue eyes. He swayed slightly on the spot, and was absolutely drenched. The rain from earlier on had persisted, and if anything it had grown steadily worse as the night went on.

When Mercy returned home earlier on, she too was drenched. She had bathed, changed, ate little and then retired to bed early.

Beatrice hadn't seen her anymore after that, and seeing as how she wasn't needed she managed to get an early night, only for this to happen.

"Can I come in?"

"May I inquire as to why you are visiting?" Beatrice asked with a frown, she didn't quite wish to invite a seemingly half-drunk man in unless he was here for a reason.

"Mercy, I am here to see her." Was the snapped reply while he leant against the wall and looked up at the sky.

"I'm shutting the door. I'll go see if she wishes to see you. If not, then please leave." And with that said Beatrice was gone. She walked quietly up the stairs which were lit faintly by the lights on the wall.

Turning the corner she ventured to Mercy's room, knocking gently she listened to faint sounds of movement. Only then did she open the door, she peeked in with a hesitant look. Mercy sat up in bed, hair ruffled and eyes half open.

"Beatrice? What is it?" She rubbed her eyes with the heel of her hand and yawned quietly behind the other.

"There is a man here." Beatrice said, she watched as Mercy's eyes blinked several times, she was confused. "He isn't looking too good."

"Fine," Mercy stood slowly from bed. She grasped onto her dressing gown as she passed and pulled it on. Tying it up she pulled her hair out and placed it over her shoulder. Following Beatrice down she placed a hand to the woman's shoulder when they neared the door. "It's fine, you go back to bed. Try and get a lay in too, yes? No getting up at dawn. If anyone tries, tell them I told you to catch up on the sleep you've missed from this little venture, yes?" Mercy said with a smile, she watched as Beatrice looked most thankful, she dipped her head and shuffled off. Though she did turn and glance at Mercy worriedly, only for her to wave a hand at her. Once Beatrice had disappeared, Mercy inhaled deeply and opened the door, still with the chain across.

She could've easily guessed who the visitor was. Though how he managed to find her home she didn't know. Mercy frowned, maybe he already knew. She wouldn't put it past him. Igor swore never to tell, so she doubted he spoke. She doubted the two were speaking at the moment. It didn't take a genius to know that they'd clashed.