Chapter Twenty-Nine

I opened my eyes. Everything had been quiet for a while. I stood up, slowly stepping out of the bathroom. I looked around, everything was destroyed. Plates were shattered, there was glass all over the floor from windows.

"Audree?"

"In here!" I called out.

Gemma came down the stairs looking around her now destroyed kitchen.

"Fuck!" She cursed before looking at me, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, still looking around, "Y-yeah. I think so. Where's Jax and Sid?"

"They're upstairs. Really didn't get hit all that bad. A couple holes in the wall but we're both okay," she explained as she began to pick up debris.

"thanks," I mumbled, going upstairs.

I found Jax in the nursery with Sid. He was holding Sid tightly and I could tell that Sid was scared. I stood in the doorway.

"It's alright," Jax said, holding the little boy close to him, "Daddy will always protect you."

Sid sniffed and pulled away, looking at Jax, "Promise?"

Jax smiled and nodded, "Promise." He kissed Sid's forehead.

Sid turned and looked at the door. He darted away from Jax and ran towards me.

"Mommy!" he squealed happily. I bent down, catching him in my out stretched arms. I scooped him up and stood up.

"Are you okay?" Jax asked, coming over to us, bringing us both into his arms.

I nodded, "Yeah, I found a hiding spot in the bathroom."

"Smart."

I nodded, looking around the room. The window was shot out but that was pretty much all the damage in the nursery.

"Come on," Jax said, "Let's go see grandma." He took Sid from me and started down the hall to go downstairs.

I looked around the room one last time and sighed. I knew this had to do with Blaine. How stupid of me to think that just because I hadn't heard from him that he had forgotten. I followed behind Jax, finding him and Gemma in the kitchen.

"Don't let him walk around," I scolded Jax as he started to put Sid down, "There's glass everywhere."

Jax nodded, stopping his actions and stood back up.

"Well at least I have an excuse to remodel. Never really liked this kitchen," Gemma said, walking out from the kitchen, "I called Clay. He's on his way over."

"Jax could I talk to you please?" I asked, softly.

Jax nodded. "Will you take him for a minute please?" He asked Gemma.

He passed Sid off to Gemma, before taking my hand and leading me outside.

"So what's going on?" He asked, getting straight to the point as he lit a cigarette.

"Jax I don't feel right about staying. I'm putting every one in danger. At least in Michigan, he was only going after me. Now's he's attacked everyone and they don't deserve it," I vented.

"Well the offer to go to Michigan still stands," Jax said simply like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"But you can't leave," I countered.

Jax thought for a moment before answering. "I might have an idea."

------------------------------------------------------------

"Audree, wake up."

I swatted the hand away, trying to go back to sleep. I was shaken once more and I opened my eyes, looking up at Jax. I looked around, forgetting momentarily where I was.

"Where here," Jax said, leaning into the backseat of the car and unbuckling our sleeping son from his carseat.

I got out of the car, stretching after sitting for almost 12 hours in a small car.

"Nice house," Jax said, coming to stand next to me and hold Sid.

"Yeah," I agreed, looking up at my two story Victorian home, "I fell in love with it. I'm almost close to paying it off."

I led Jax into the house, opening the front door. The house looked exactly the same as it did when I left. That was kind of strange, I thought for sure it would be ransacked. I dropped my keys on the table by the door, kicking my shoes off and heading straight into the kitchen.

Jax followed me, "Where should I put Sid?"

I popped open the bottle of beer, taking a sip before answering, "His nursery is upstairs, to the left, first door on the right."

Jax nodded, carrying Sid and his small kids suitcase upstairs. I sighed, opening my pantry to see if there was anything left to eat. I settled on some pasta, pulling it all the ingredients I would need.

"You hungry?" I asked Jax as he walked back in the kitchen.

He nodded, "Yeah. But I'd like to take a shower first."

"You can use the shower in my room. It's on the opposite end of the hall as Sid's room, all the way at the end. Towels are in the cabinet beside the shower."

Jax kissed my cheek before heading upstairs to take a shower.I heard the water running from the shower upstairs and I sighed, opening a small drawer to my left. I pulled out a half full cigarette pack, taking out a cigarette and lighting it. I smoked peacefully, finally getting a nicotine fix, as I cooked the pasta and sauce. 

When I finished, I stubbed out the cigarette, getting a plate of food and taking it and my beer to the table to eat. I turned on the TV to the news. A couple minutes later, Jax came down in clean clothes and hair wet from the shower he had just gotten out of. 

He got his own plate of food and took a seat next to me. 

"This is a really nice home. It's got a cozy loved feel," he commented while he eat. 

"Thanks," I replied," It was completely condemned when I bought it. I remodeled and did everything by hand pretty much."

"I'm impressed. It's a nice family home."

"Yeah. I always thought I would be raising a family in this house."

"When I was taking a shower, it felt like I was home."

I raised my eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"You know I've always struggled with finding a place where I belonged. And when I was upstairs, it felt like I belonged here. Like I was supposed to come home every night, be here with you and Sid and go through daily life here."

I shrugged, "Maybe. But your place is in Charming. You have too much going on there to just leave."

"But what about you? You and Sid are here."

"Yes. But its because of the same reasons. I've created a life here like you have in Charming, I can't pick up and leave for good."

Jax sighed, "Let's just talk about this later, okay? I'm exhausted."

I nodded in agreement, standing up and taking the dishes to the sink. I turned off the TV and followed Jax upstairs to my bedroom. I got ready for bed before slipping between the covers beside Jax. As I laid there trying to go to sleep, I couldn't help but think that Jax was right. It did feel right for him to be in bed with me. Like this was how my life was destined to be. I snuggled closer to Jax and closed my eyes, falling asleep soon after.