Chapter Two: Igneous

Comenzar desde el principio

Draw back. Find the space beneath the eyes. Stare down the shaft. Breathe in—

And out.

The fletching whispered as it slipped from my hand. I blinked and when my eyes opened, the arrow had found its mark. Though not dead, it had been hindered and that was enough. The fight was only just beginning. My warriors drew their bows, weapons releasing faster than could be comprehended. An hour passed in distant battle, and we sent our horses back to the stronghold when they became more of a hindrance than help.

We could only wound the spiders at our distance, and they could only spin webs for us to catch ourselves in. One of my warriors had been seriously caught; I had immediately sent warriors to free him, but one of the young spiders had nicked him with its fangs. The venom was hardly life threatening—it would likely wear off before the battle was through—but still I worried.

I decided we had fought long enough to be convincing—leastways for a spider's mind—and ordered a retreat. The spiders would not follow. They would count this as a victory. My warriors knew our plan and obeyed without question.

Despite their best intentions, vengeful regret emitted from their actions. Ai, what battle had done to the hearts of the edhil.

Ducking amid and above the greenery, we hid in the highest branches the trees could offer, darkness as our veil. I looked out, watching the spiders for any unexpected happening. They were recuperating, but unable to dislodge our arrows from where the shafts protruded. It was a small victory already, watching them scurry in panicked preparations, but the greatest satisfaction was yet to come.

We regrouped, high in the branches of a tree that stood distant from the battle. I placed a hand on the tree's trunk, conveying silent thanks for its shelter, then glancing at each of my warriors. Aside from the single injured warrior, they all seemed no worse for wear—perhaps slightly fatigued but they had lasted through much worse circumstances. I tore my mind from it, turning to the matter at hand.

"Is everyone present?"

Forven grunted affirmation.

I nodded, keeping my eyes on the agitated spider's nests. "Good. Then we will begin again at midnight. You three—" I gestured to the ellyn immediately to my left— "will hold back until my signal. The six of you—" this time those in the branches just above me— "will spread over this quarter, and Forven, you with them. Act first upon Forven's order. The rest will come with me." I looked back at my warriors. "Does everyone understand?"

Agreements were muttered, some fringed with excitement and others apprehension. Regardless, they were prepared. Little else mattered.

"Good," I said. A weight rested upon me.

The forest darkened as did the night. We were minutes away from enacting our plan, and I leaned back against the tree, being sure that it and the other trees would uphold their word.

You're certain you will be able to assist us as we need? A burning forest is not a complication we can afford.

The tree bristled, but then softened. We do not wish flame upon ourselves. Cease your worry, Thranduilion. It is unfounded and will only do you harm.

A smile brushed my lips despite the circumstances. Hannon-le, mellon-nin.

Be careful, Thranduilion.

I began my descent through the branches, my warriors following. We reached the ground without the spiders' notice. My warriors broke off into their contingents, wooden staves in hand. Seconds passed in agonizing lethargy until I felt rather than heard the forest go silent. All was ready.