~Chapter 14~

"(Y/N) come back to the leaf village! It isn't the same without you! You aren't cut out to be a rogue ninja."

"Go back?! To that hell hole?! Being a rogue ninja was the only thing that made me feel like I could be myself and not have to worry about holding back! I've never been more free! I don't plan on going back there no matter how many times you try!"

"..."

"Now go back to that village before I kill you... Naruto."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ah~! It's the famous (Y/N) (L/N) of the (L/N) clan. What are the chances? I feel honored."

"Well you have been following me and my friends for a while now. You should know why you're here. Are you here to make me the next body host after Sasuke?"

"You catch on so quickly! I was just here to see how you have been progressing my dear vessel~."

"Don't call me that you snake."

"Now tell me why you decided to come after me now when I still have a few years before you need me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We meet again you monster."

"I should be calling you that considering how much you changed since that day, not in a good way either."

"So. You're still keeping up your goose chase. Why don't you just give up... Father?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So you are the holder of the 12 tailed beast."

"Yeah what of it?"

"That is dangerous considering how much power you hold without it."

"Well you aren't all gumdrops and lollipops. You murdered your clan without mercy and made your brother live alone for years."

"..."

"Now why don't you tell me something. Why is my inner demon so important to the Akatsuki?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up with small gasps of air and cold sweat running down my back. I look around and sigh. I get up and walk to the roof. I lean against the railing and watch the sun rise slowly.

"You interest me." A deep voice says from behind me, erupting the calming silence.

"How so?" I ask.

"You are so different from everybody else. Unlike Naruto, or me, you push away anyone who tries to help you. Why?"

I sigh. "That's an odd thought. But you see, Lord Kazekage, it's because I have seen and been through so much pain, suffering and betrayal in my life that I gave up on giving people my trust. Even without them intending to, they end up breaking me like everyone else has."

You see, 2 years or so after my group left the leaf village, we came across the sand village. Gaara invited us to stay with them for as long as we wanted and since everyone wanted to calm down and relax, we decided to stay. I had gotten relatively close to Gaara even though I told myself not to get close to anyone anymore. Well that pretty much sums it up.

Gaara smiles a small sad smile at my response. My stomach lurched. 'He pities me. Does he actually care about me? I don't think anyone has done that when they knew me before they found out about my past. And what is this weird feeling in my chest? I don't like it. I don't want it there. Is this a sign that I'm weak?' I think to myself. I sigh and look at the sunrise again.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask softly. "Mhmm." Gaara hums. "Why are you trying so hard to protect these people even though they treated you like shit when you were younger?" I ask.

Gaara looks at the sunrise then back at me.

"I want to become something precious to others, too." Gaara says.

I stare at him, surprised. Silence follows for a few minutes before I interrupt it. "Can I try something?" I ask. He raises his non-existent eyebrow. "What do you want to try?" He asks. "I just want to try something. It isn't bad... I think." I say. He thinks about it for a while then nods.

I swallow before I walk over to Gaara. I stop right in front of him. He looks at me questioningly. "Is this what you wan-" I cut him off as I crash my lips into his. (O////O) Gaara's eyes widen for a while before he shuts them and starts to slowly kiss back.

I realize what I am doing and pull back. "I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was thinking, I just... I didn't want to die without knowing what it was like." I mutter.

Gaara nods and silence looms over us again before he interrupts it. "What makes you think you are going to die?" He asks. I look at him and smile sadly. "With all of the people after me, it's only logical to think that I'm not going to live as long as everyone else will. And if no one has killed me by then I will probably go mad and get lost in my own insanity. The world just doesn't want me to live, I guess. But life isn't fair in that way. It never was fair. That's why we are treated like outcasts. The world just isn't fair. But that's okay, because if the world was fair, I wouldn't know if I was alive or not, because the only thing telling me that I'm alive is pain." I chuckle softly. Gaara nods, taking my words in.

We sit in silence once more, until a man with a huge bird comes flying in. (Epic outro music begins....I'm sorry. I'll crawl into my closet now)

Word Count:

Original Chapter: 1006 Words

Rewritten Chapter: 935 Words