Chapter Four

Friday, January 15, 2016

Damn it's hard to keep up with this thing every day. Like, there's only so much variety in my school day, you know? Wake up, school, Byron scribbles something in my English book, lunch, home, homework, rinse, repeat.

But.

Today Byron is coming over after school. And he's staying the night.

My mom was like narrowing her eyes at me all suspicious, 'Friend or boyfriend?'

And I was like, 'Friend.'

And she just believed me. I mean, I was telling the truth but damn, what an idiot. I'll have to remember that for if I ever do want to do the nasty with somebody in my room.

Later

He's here. In my room.

More later

This is weird but bear with me. Like we'll just be hanging out and every now and then I'll suddenly think "holy shit this kid is dying" and it just makes him seem sort of... Special? That's a fucked up thing to say but I can't think of a different way to put it. Kind of like if you were hanging out with somebody and then suddenly remembered that they were famous or something. Like there's this whole other HUGE THING about them that you somehow forgot about for fifteen minutes and it hits you and you're like shit, how did I forget that?

Later later

I did it. I was dancing around it all night but finally we were finished with the movie and just sort of sitting there and it wasn't awkward exactly but it was silent and I finally just said, 'I don't wanna be a dick but I have to ask... What's, like, wrong with you?'

And he just kind of looked at me like he was thinking about it and said, 'There are two pretty distinct parts of my life right now. There's this part - you and school and the others and the list. And there's that part. And that part would just contaminate this part. I want to keep this part... Good.'

And I was like, 'Shit, that's deep. Okay dude, you don't have to tell me. But if you ever do want to talk about it, don't let that contamination thing stop you. I've got you.'

And he was like, 'Chill.'

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Okay, he's gone. He stayed for most of the day and we just bummed around watching TV and eating pizza and it was like really easy? Like it is when I hang out alone with Lewis or Anita or Abby or Carly. Like we've known each other for ages instead of just a few weeks. Like I didn't feel any pressure to entertain him and he acted like it was his hundred-thousandth time in my house instead of the first. He didn't even ask where the bathroom was last night, he just went and looked for it. He's weird. I'm into it though.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Anita and I got grouped together for our history project.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Anita spent the whole day here yesterday for the project. We spent like ten minutes on it I swear to god I don't know why I let her do this to me but we always just end up watching cat videos on YouTube what the hell is it about this bitch I never remember until she's gone that she's annoying and untrustworthy.

Monday, January 25, 2016

I was freaking out about the stupid history project but Anita was like, 'Chill, loser,' and when we got to class she just fucking produces the completed project, and it's got my name on it and she even copied my handwriting into some of the notes. I was like hissing at her, 'Did you buy this shit off the internet or something?' and she was like, 'Trust.'

Friday, January 29, 2016

Anita rolled up at lunch today grinning in that way she does when she's self-satisfied and said, 'I got the goods,' which I guess is her twentieth-century gangster way of letting us know she managed to get her hands on some acid.

Abby and Carly asked Byron what day he wanted to take it next month and he was like, 'It would be cool to do it on the 29th since it's a leap year,' but we looked it up and the 29th is a Monday so we'll have school.

Which is like, what the fuck? You put an extra day in the year and don't even make it a holiday?

Anyway we were like damn, but then Lewis shook his head and was like, 'Fuck it, we'll ditch. Whatever, we'll hike into the canyon and drop, trip for eight hours and be home by teatime.'

We were like are you nuts but he insisted and I kind of am into it if I'm being honest. I've only ever tripped in the safety of Anita's bedroom but I kind of feel like everyone's best acid story usually happens in nature. Like Lewis's cousin Brianna who spent a summer in San Francisco and hooked up with a dude in his thirties who drove them out to the fucking desert and they dropped while laying on the ground looking up at the stars. Or maybe she's full of shit, either way it sounds like the kind of drug experience I want a piece of.

Carly was like, 'What about Tuesday? We'll have to be in school. We'll be eight shades of wrecked.'

But we all just sort of looked at her like HE'S DYING and she relented.

Monday, February 1, 2016

I'm really feeling how easy it was for Byron to just sort of assimilate into our group. Like one day he's writing weird notes in my English book and the next he sits with us at lunch and spends the whole weekend with us. I guess that's molly for you though. Makes you have all them feels for total strangers.

Anyway we all spent Saturday at Anita's place playing video games and eating pizza and smoking weed and she showed Byron the acid because he'd never seen any before. She didn't get tabs, she just got a little vial with a dropper and when we were all sitting in her room as she was showing him she made this disgusted face and was like, 'Guess what weird shit Romeo told me when he was selling me this?'

And we were like, just tell us you freak.

So she was like, 'He said that once he and his friends went to get some pot from his dealer and his dealer was like, "You guys wanna see some Lucy?" And they were like fuck yeah. So he brings it out like this, with the dropper, to show it to them, and one of the guys is like "Let me in on that." So he pays him ten dollars for a dose and the guy goes to just drop it on his tongue but he fucking trips and spills the shit all over this guy's face.' She looked at Byron, the noob, for a second, and was like, 'Acid can be absorbed through your skin. Anyway his friend freaks out. He's covered in acid. There's nothing he can do. He's gonna trip for days, no way out of it. The dealer is like, "Shit, man, I'm sorry, don't worry about it, I won't charge you." Like he's doing him a favour. What a psycho.'

Byron was like, 'So what happened?'

And Anita shrugged and told us, 'He hardcore tripped for three days. Travelled through space and time. Conversed with the gods. When he came out the other side he honest to fuck thought he'd been tripping for eternity. Romeo says his friend hasn't been the same since but that he's mostly okay? Like he won't touch acid but he tried DMT once so it can't have fucked him up that bad.'

Byron looked kind of thoughtful and was like, 'Eternity huh?' and every goddamn heart in the room broke because eternity is a long time and Byron has less than a year. So we just changed the subject because how the fuck do you respond to something like that?

Later

Todays doodles include:

The word "eternity" with little stars drawn around it

Two stick figure dudes sitting on the edge of something

The word "blurryface" in fuzzy bubble writing

And a countdown timer to the 29th.