Chapter Eleven

Monday, April 10, 2016

Today's doodles:

A line drawing of two boys zipping over a canyon but only one of them is looking at the other.

"Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste"

Tuesday, April 11, 2016

So today somebody was finally like, 'Oh hey, your bucket list.'

And Byron was like, 'Yeah.'

And Anita was like, 'You wanted to learn a language, right?'

And Byron was like, 'Yeah.'

And Carly was like, 'Well, you're runnin' out of time, buddy.'

And I was like, 'In more ways than one,' and Byron and I both snorted and Anita tutted because I think she is getting tired of the death jokes but it is important to me to keep doing things that Anita is tired of so I am fully not going to stop.

Anyway then Abby was like, 'So what language do you want to learn? French?'

And Byron wrinkled his nose which was ADORABLE and Lewis was like, 'We've all spent half our lives trying to learn French and it's not sticking,' which is true. Merci pour rien, QUEBEC.

So Abby was like, 'Well, what then? Chinese?' I guess because our entire city is practically one big Chinatown but ffs they all speak English and also it's like like a whole other alphabet???? Or like two or three of them. Wait, maybe that's Japanese. Or Korean?

I don't fucking know.

Wait. Chinese has two LANGUAGES. This bitch wanted to double our fucking workload!

Anyway, Byron was like, 'I don't think half a month is enough time to learn hanzi.'

And he is fully fucking correct.

Lewis was like, 'So, what then?'

And Carly was like, 'Maybe we should think outside the box. How hard do you think it is to learn a programming language? That shouldn't take too long, right? Coding is, like, easy.'

And Anita rolled her eyes and was like, 'Yeah, that's why they pay them a hundred grand a year, because of how easy their jobs are and how anybody can do it.'

And I just knew Carly was building herself up to an atom bomb of a comeback because she did that thing where her mouth starts to look like a butthole and she breathes in super deep through her nose and her chest puffs up like a bird of paradise doing a mating dance, and I was fucking HERE FOR IT because hello, I may be the Reigning Anita-Busting Champion but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate some decent well-rounded abuse when it comes from somebody else.

But the bell rang and it took the wind out of Carly's sails - and her chest - and Anita smirked at her and danced away before she could rally.

I was like, 'Look at that coward, running away,' which I think cheered Carly up slightly.

Later

I have an idea.

Later Later

I might be a genius.

I mean, I probably am.

More Later

I just confronted my mother on why she never had me tested for giftedness and that I'm probably wasting my potential at this stupid school that keeps putting me in detention and refusing to recognise my latent abilities. She's still laughing.

Later Again

Oh my goddddddd I just went downstairs for a snack and she's STILL laughing. Sitting there on her iPad like some sort of geriatric technology addict giggling to herself intermittently.

There, that's an SAT word.

I think.

We don't have the SAT in Canada.

Wednesday, April 12, 2016

I told Byron about being a genius and HE didn't laugh at me. He just said, 'I promise not to tell Anita you said that,' which I appreciate.

Anyway, then I was like, 'Remember how we were trying to figure out a language to learn?'

And he was like, 'Yeah.'

And I was like, 'Well, remember how we were saying Chinese, and you said about learning the symbols?'

And he was like, 'Yeah.'

And I was like, 'And remember how Carly said about computer programming?'

And he was like, No.'

And I was like, 'Oh, well she said that programming would be easy to learn and-'

And he was like, 'I was kidding Charlie, I remember.'

And I was like, 'Oh. Well, anyway, you know how programming is also called coding?'

And he was like, 'Yeah.'

And I was like... Just kinda looking at him all excited and waiting for him to get it.

And hw was like... ?

So I said, 'Codes! We should learn a code. A secret code, not a computer code.'

And I KNOW I'm a genius because he stared at me for three whole seconds before he started to smile and we were already standing pretty close together and because of like the pause and the silence and the fact that he was smiling slowly I was just kind looking at his mouth and my heart started to beat really weird again but then he started nodding and I snapped out of it and stopped staring at his mouth like a weirdo.

And he was like, 'Yeah.'

Later

Today's doodles:

Just nonsense scribbles as far as I can tell. I think it might mean a code, though.