The Night Before

Clarke had been drawing for hours. Ever since she had left Lexa's throne room, she had felt a sort of disappointment run through her. She thought that Lexa would have at least pushed for her protection but she just let Clarke get what she wanted right off the bat. Clarke had been so frustrated coming back from her meeting with Lexa that she had just begun drawing and lost herself in her work. She had started her sketches with pictures of Grounders but ended up drawing one Grounder specifically, Lexa. Clarke didn't know why she felt so strongly toward Lexa. Every time they were in the same room together, Clarke just wanted to touch Lexa gently, softly. Clarke had never admitted it but she knew that she had strong feelings for Lexa. She couldn't help it. To this day, their kiss haunted her. She often woke up with the faint feeling of sweet lips against her own, only to realize that her mind had played tricks on her once more. Clarke often noticed that whatever she did, she always had Lexa in the back of her mind. For reasons she didn't understand, Clarke just couldn't stop thinking about the ruthless leader. Lexa fascinated her. She seemed so strong and in-control but Clarke had seen a different side of her. When they were together, Lexa was always vulnerable and sweet. Lexa had showed that she cared, maybe even loved Clarke. Clarke had never meant to fall for Lexa but she knew that she just couldn't help it. Lexa was so tender and gentle, her smile warming Clarke's heart. The way Lexa had looked at her lips the night before had sent shivers through Clarke. She could still remember the way Lexa's leg had shown through the slit of her nightgown and how she wanted to kiss Lexa's damaged lips... Without realizing it, Clarke had managed to close her eyes as her heart began thumping faster. A soft knock was heard at the door and Clarke's eyes quickly fluttered open. She stood up and walked across the room, still slightly flustered as she opened the door.

"Hello Klark Kom Trikru," said the beautiful green-eyed woman standing in front of Clarke. Lexa smiled as Clarke's eyes flickered down to her body, admiring her nightgown as she had the night before.

"Oh uh hi Lexa, what are you doing here?" asked Clarke as she realized her mistake of allowing her eyes to roam Lexa's body. She shot her eyes up immediately to meet Lexa's, only to realize that Lexa's gaze was worse than checking her out.

Lexa's eyes were so intense as Clarke's blue eyes met her own. The eyes of the other woman seemed so loving and trustful. She was at a temporary loss of words. Not wanting to offend Clarke by not replying, Lexa immediately said the first thing that came to her mind, "Protection."

Clarke blinked in surprise when she heard that single word leave Lexa's mouth. She felt tingly but also slightly amused at Lexa's one-worded response. Clarke smirked at Lexa, "What about protection? You told me no guards would bother me while I slept," Clarke said while moving back in order to allow enough room for Lexa to come in. Her smirk widened as she saw Lexa looking a bit lost.

"Yes that's true," Lexa answered, coming into the room as Clarke stepped aside. Lexa stayed close by the entrance, not wanting to invade any of Clarke's privacy. "No guards will come... but I will stay with you tonight for your protection." Lexa kept her eyes down as she said the last part, suddenly nervous about looking at Clarke straight in the eyes.

Clarke had been walking around Lexa and stopped when she heard Lexa's words. She had stopped right beside Lexa and immediately turned to face her directly. "What? What do you mean you're my protection?" She asked in disbelief.

"I mean that I will be watching you tonight. That way you will feel less uncomfortable while you sleep," said Lexa, also turning to face Clarke.

Clarke was completely astounded by Lexa's revelation. Lexa in her room? Staying with her? All night long, she thought, flashes of naked flesh running through her mind. Clarke quickly shook away the dirty thoughts, reminding herself that Lexa was still in the same room as her, still watching her. It was hard for Clarke not to think about touching Lexa but she knew that she had to control herself around Heda. She was too tired to argue with Lexa about being watched anyway so she decided to just give in so she could fall asleep earlier and dream of Lexa all night. "Fine. You can stay Lexa," she said in a resigned tone.

Lexa smiled and watched as Clarke moved toward her bed. She saw as Clarke moved some drawings off of her bed and put them under some blank pieces of paper on her desk. Lexa understood that Clarke was hiding the drawings, she probably didn't want anyone to see them for the time being. She decided to not ask about the drawings and instead focused on her small win. Clarke had hardly put up a fight when Lexa had said that she would stay in Clarke's room. She knew that Clarke couldn't argue with her.

Clarke pulled back the thick blankets on her bed and got into bed. She laid her head down on the pillow, facing away from Lexa. All of a sudden, Clarke felt a soft touch against her shoulder. She turned her head to find Lexa's eyes looking into hers.

"Resh Op Klark," said Lexa in a whisper. Lexa hadn't even noticed when she had crossed the room and sat down on Clarke's bed. She had just felt the need to be close to Clarke, even if only temporarily.

Clarke looked up at Lexa and suddenly felt the urge to have Lexa closer. She turned her body and wrapped her arms around Lexa, pulling her down next to her. Clarke and Lexa lay facing each other, both offering deep gazes.

Lexa's heart beat wildly as she lay next to Clarke. She didn't understand how a person could hold so much beauty. She wanted to stay wrapped in Clarke's arms forever. Before she understood what she was doing, Lexa leaned her face forward and touched Clarke's forhead against hers, closing her eyes. She felt the soft brush of Clarke's eyelashes against her skin as Clarke closed her eyes as well. Lexa felt herself slipping into the darkness, embracing Clarke and her warmth. For the first time in a long time, she felt safe.

Clarke felt herself smiling as she closed her eyes, feeling calm with Lexa in her arms. She felt the other woman relax against her body. Not knowing exactly what they were doing, Clarke decided that it didn't really matter. No matter what anyone thought or said, right now in this moment was where she belonged, with Lexa. Before she knew it, Clarke was fast asleep, still holding Lexa in her arms.