Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Hayley’s POV

Balling my hands into fists, I made my way into the building I had followed Caden in before. And as I expected, Egan was there in all his dark glory. He didn’t even notice me coming up behind him. But not close enough to let him be able to hurt me if he could.

“Turn around.” I said sternly to him. I don’t even know what I was thinking. I was extremely vulnerable to a fallen angel everyone seems to be afraid of. I didn’t even know how to use my powers if I even still had some.

Hesitantly, he did as I asked and turned around. His dark eyes suddenly softened. Not with familiarity though. It seemed that he didn’t remember me. “I think you have the wrong building. Are you sure you didn’t make a wrong turn or something…”

“No,” I stepped closer towards him, a few feet more than I would have wanted. “I’m exactly where I want to be, Egan.”

Then just like that, that softness to his eyes disappeared. An evil flicker appearing in its place. Casually, he went over to the counter beside him and took a seat on the high stool. “I want to ask how you know who I am, but I doubt you’d tell me the answer to that.”

“You’re right.”

“Then can I ask who you are?” He wondered, rubbing a hand under his stubby chin. “I can at least ask that much, right?”

“No.” I said, clenching my jaw. Why was he acting so normal? From how much bad Kent and everyone talks about him, it seems like everyone he comes across he attacks or something. Right now, he’s acting pretty civil.

Rolling his eyes, he got back to his feet and took a step towards me. “Then what exactly can I do for you?”

“You’ve done enough.” I told him. I was actually kind of surprised how I kept this calm and collected charade for this long now.

Another step. “What exactly have I done?” He asked, curiously.

“You’ve ruined everything. I…I want you dead.” I admitted.

More steps towards me. Now, he was directly in front of me, practically within touching distance. I scolded myself for letting him get so close. Now, I was vulnerable to anything.

“And how exactly do you expect to kill me?” He asked, raising a hand to my face.

I couldn’t help it. I flinched away from his hand and instantly regretted it when I saw the grin form on his face.

“You’re scared of me.”

“No I’m not.”

Suddenly, I was being pushed up against the brick wall. A small gasp escaped my lips as my back started to ache from the contact.

“See. You’re scared.” He said again, leaning closer towards my face. I tried as hard as I can to get as much distance between us as possible. “Now, let me ask again. How do you know who I am?”

“I just know.”

“That’s not a very satisfying answer.” He mumbled and sighed. “How do you propose to kill me then?”

I stayed quiet. Not because I was scared of him, but because I honestly didn’t have a plan on how I was going to kill him. I was just sort of winging it, hoping that I’d get lucky I think.

“You have a knife? A gun? Something?” He wondered, keeping his eyes on mine as his hand roamed slowly down my body in search for anything in particular. When he made it all the way to my backside, he raised it back up to the brick wall. “You know, when you come to a fight without weapons, you’re asking for a death wish. And you should know that I’d gladly grant you that.”