"Elliot, of course not!" I say, stifling a laugh.  "Why would you even ask that?"

            "Don't laugh."  He rips his hand away and frowns at me.  "You won't let me eat lunch with you.  Or hang out with you during school or practice.  Or sit on bus rides with you.  Pretty much the only time you will even talk to me is when we're alone."

            "I said I would sit with you on the way home," I mumble, looking the other way.

            "Only because I practically had to beg you."  Elliot tightens his fingers around his knees.  He grits his teeth and repeats.  "Tell me why you don't want to be seen with me?"

            "I already told you," I say.  "Cassi will hate me."

            "Stop using that as an excuse," snaps Elliot.  "Cassi will get over it.  But I don't know how we're supposed to date if you won't even go out with me."

            "You don't know Cassi," I say, my vision suddenly blurring with tears.  "She doesn't stop until she gets what she wants.  She will ruin me is she thinks I stand in the way of her getting you."

            "Well maybe she needs to know."  There's a soft pause before Elliot looks at me.  He grabs my chin between his fingers.  "I won't let her hurt you."

            "Trust me, you wouldn't be able to stop her."  I blink away more tears because I know I speak the truth, even if Elliot won't admit it.  Cassi is like a natural disaster.  She destroys everything in her path, and nothing you do will change that.

            "She's trying to own you, Finn.  Don't let her." 

            His words cause my stomach to twist.  No, it's worse than that.  His words make me want to vomit.  Because the situation has escalated far past his observation.  Cassi isn't trying to own me.  She already does.

            I feel the tears start to slide down my cheeks before I can stop them.  I don't know what to do.  All this time, I've done everything that Cassi has expected me to.  Looking back, I'm not sure why I did it.  It simply seemed like the right thing to do at the time.  But now, I don't want to follow her rules any more.  I just don't know how to stop myself.

            Elliot stares at me with a stunned expression.  He says something, maybe curses under his breath.  I can't be sure.  I'm crying too loudly to hear him.  Before I can apologize, I feel his arms wrap around my shoulders, tugging me into his chest.  I press my face into his shoulder and breathe in the chlorine scent that clings to his skin.

            "I'm so sorry.  I shouldn't have said anything," says Elliot, slowly brushing his hand up the length of my spine.

            I wait for a moment, letting the tears cease before attempting a reply. 

            "No.  You're right," I say, barely able to choke the words out.  "I'm afraid of my own sister.  And—and I just do whatever she says."

            "No, you don't.  You are—" 

            I don't catch the rest of his words because I start crying again.  I have no idea what's gotten into me, but I can't seem to control myself.  Now that the floodgates have opened, I'm not sure how to close them.

            I don't know how long I cry or how long he holds me, but eventually, I run out of tears. 

            "I think I missed my event," I say bleakly.

            "Yeah, me too."  Elliot doesn't move, but keeps rubbing my back.  It's strange how comforting the simple gesture is.

            "I'm sorry," I say.  Unlike me, Elliot's races are actually important to the team, important to him.  And I just forced him to miss his event by glomming all over him with my pathetic life.

            "Don't be sorry."  His voice is still soft, almost like a gentle hug.

            "We should probably go."  I pull my head back, thanking the heavens that I'm not wearing any makeup.  Raccoon eyes are the last thing I need right now.

            "Are you okay?"

            I nod, feeling my cheeks burn with embarrassment.  "I really am sorry.  I didn't mean to do that."

            "It's alright."  Elliot helps me up and pauses to wipe the tears from my cheeks.

            We're almost to the doors when I stop him.  "Elliot?"

            "Yeah?"

            "I would love to go on a real date with you."  I feel awkward telling him this, but I force the words out.

            "You don't have to..."

            "No, I want to."  I smile at him.  I realize after my embarrassing display, he may not be interested in me anymore, so I hesitantly add, "But only if you still want to."

            "I do," says Elliot, leaning down to gently kiss my lips.

*******************************************************************

A/N: Okay, so who is proud of me for posting way sooner than expected? I know I am;) Anyway, I really liked this chapter, so I hope you do too.  I didn't expect Finn to have her emotional breakdown...but she is always so dang emotional.  And you gotta love Elliot! :)  

Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment! I would love to hear your thoughts on the chapter! :)