Chapter 28: Birthday Hangover

Start from the beginning

I laughed. "Now you say that."

"You're our first, so it's been trial and error with you," she said with a smirk.

"Good to know I've been your guinea pig."

Before she could reply, my phone rang, cheering me up when I saw who it was. "Hey." I was surprised Nick was calling this early, since I knew he was usually busy at work until lunch time, which wasn't for another couple of hours.

"Hey, I'm headed to the police station."

I was totally not expecting that. "You're what?" I asked, shocked, causing Mom to look at me curiously.

"They called while I was at work today and said they needed to ask me some questions about... about Andrew Redden's death."

I could hear the fear and nervousness in his voice, causing me to get scared and nervous, too. "I'm coming down there," I said, standing up and heading straight for my shoes.

"What's going on?" my mom mouthed, causing me to assess the situation and calm down.

"No, you don't have to go. I just wanted to let you know what's going on, you know, just in case."

"Listen, I'm coming, even if I just wait on you outside. That way if you need me, I'll be there." I looked at mom, who was still eyeing me, wondering what I was going to tell her. Oh, I'm heading to the police station where they're about to question my boyfriend regarding a murder, Mom, and will be right back. I had to think of something.

"If it will make you feel better," Nick replied, "but don't interfere. I don't want you involved, okay. Promise me."

"Okay. I'll see you soon."

I started to hang up, since I already had my shoes and was slipping them on, but his voice stopped me. "Amber?"

"Yeah?" I replied, balancing the phone with my shoulder.

"I love you." His words sounded pained, like it was the last time he'd ever get to tell me.

"I love you, too. And don't worry. Everything will be okay."

"I know," he lied, since I could tell he was thinking otherwise. To be honest, so was I.

When we hung up, the inquisition began. "What's going on? Where are you going? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, he's just... he's...." I acted like I couldn't talk and put my shoes on at the same time, trying to come up with some explanation as to where I was darting off to in such a hurry.

"He's what?"

I finished tying my shoes and stood up. "His ankle started to swell really bad so he's going back to the doctor, that's all."

She seemed to accept my lie, letting me know I lied better than Nick had given me credit for. "Oh, no. I hope it's not a blood clot. Those can become serious."

"Yeah, I hope it's nothing, but I'm going, just in case."

"Okay, honey. Call and let me know what they say." I told her I would and went to hug her bye, but she stopped me. "So, you two are... pretty close, now, huh?" she asked, causing me to shrug. "Well, I heard the 'L' word, so I was just wondering."

I didn't have time for this. "Yeah, we're pretty close. I care for him a lot." I hugged her and headed for the door. "That's why I've got to go. I love you."

"I love you, too. Drive safely. No need to rush."

"Okay," I yelled back at her as I walked out, my nerves getting riled up again.