Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

            “L-Lee, I’m—” Well, I was going to say I’m just kidding but he slams his fist on the door.

            He places his hand on my chin and pulls it up to his face. Holy shit, are there tears in his eyes? They seem to be glistening or it could just be the reflection of moonlight. I wouldn’t know.

            “You…did it with him?”

            “Lee, no, I was just kidding!” I don’t know why but seeing him so vulnerable snaps something in me. I wrap my arms around his chest but he doesn’t place his arms around me. Is he really angry? “Mark still thinks we’re together! In fact, the whole world does until you announce your…fiancé.”

            Before I could do anything, a knock sounded through the door.

            “Ivory? Lee?” It’s Mark. He taps against the door again. “Could you please open the door?” Lee sighs, retreating and running a hand through his hair. He looks angry, sad, and just tired. I turn and open the locked door. Mark is standing there, dough and what else all over his face and arms. “Madam Jin is ready to eat.”

            Before I can say anything or explain why we took so long or what we were doing, Lee shoves – literally shoves – past me and out the door. He stops in front of Mark for a second, throwing a glare, before shoving past him too. Mark and I stare wide-eyed after Lee.

            “Did you guys have a couple’s fight or something?” he asks, pointing at Lee’s retreating figure. “Something’s up his ass.”

            I force a smile. “Isn’t there always?”

            Dinner goes by fast. I stuff down the food that Mark had made – pancakes – and throw in a couple of cued laughs and smiles at the right time. Madam Jin seems satisfied with everything and Lee ignores me during the entire meal and even after. It seems the only person making conversation and actually trying is Mark, who chirps on about funny stories of him drunk.

            Madam Jin is coming to visit Mom with me tomorrow. I am thankful for the support and excited to see Mom again. I haven’t actually visited her yet with doctors running tests to see any other hidden brain damages.

            That night, I fall asleep quickly, a lot on my mind but also so tired from everything. Lee, Mom, Brent – who’s been sleeping because of jet lag – and Mark run through my mind. And then I think about Mom; the possibilities, the chances about the situation.

            Lee and Mark can’t protect me forever.

The next morning, I wake up before anybody else. I’m in my bedroom and I try not to accidentally step on Madam Jin while I sneak out of my own room. She pulled out an air mattress from the supply closet that I never knew existed and slept on it. I had tried convincing her that she should take the bed. She said something about elderly discrimination and that it was her first time sleeping on an air mattress and I simply couldn’t say no.

            I brush my teeth and place my hair in a bun. The fridge is empty when I open it, with some random vegetables and an empty milk carton lingering. Mark used everything last night.

            I need to go shopping.

            Without Mom here, it’s my duty. For some reason, it makes me want to cry that she’s not here. At least I’m visiting her today. I should also pick something up for Mom – her favorite flowers or something.