The Party

I walked down the grand staircase to join my family and their guest for their annual party, anyone who was someone in Chicago was in attendance; no one ever declined an invitation. My floor length gown swept across the marble floor and all I could do is wish I was wearing my red flapper dress. When I looked in the mirror before coming exiting my room, I saw my hair as it hung in loose curls down my back. It shined with an auburn tint as the light reflected off it. The blue gown brought out the blue of my eyes giving them a vibrant glow. I glided along the marble floor to stand by the side of my mother who was chatting politely with her friends. They were all wearing their fake smiles and greeted me politely as I approached.

It only took a few minutes before one of their sons walked up to the group and asked if I would like to dance. I placed my hand in his extended one and he led me to the dance floor. We danced a waltz gliding across the shiny marble floor of the ballroom. It was a slow and calming dance, but I could not keep my mind from wondering. I started thinking about the only adventure I have ever had in my life and I knew I wanted more. I knew my parents were going to pick a man for me to marry soon, so I snuck out and went to a speakeasy a few nights ago. I had hoped that one adventure would satisfy my adventurous nature before I was married off to a man I didn’t love, but it hadn’t.

As he held me in his arms, I wished there was jazz playing; I wished I was dancing the upbeat and swell Charleston; and, I wished I was in the arms of another man, the man I met the night I snuck out. Unfortunately, wishing did not accomplish anything but increase my longing to be somewhere else and with someone else. The song ended and reality came rushing back to me. He was attempting to make conversation, I was too distracted to feign interest in what he was saying, that is why, I excused myself. The rest of the night passed in a blur of dancing and boring conversation with men whom my parents were considering for the role of my husband. They were all wealthy and well-bred, and so boring they made me want to cry. I was in the middle of one of those terribly boring conversations, when someone cleared his throat behind me. I turned around and almost fainted from the shock of seeing him, the man I met while I was having my little adventure.

“Would you excuse us.” he said to the man I had been talking to. He said he would and walked away. I didn’t know what to say, I was too stunned by seeing him.

“Would you like to dance?” he asked. Without a word, I took his hand and he led me to the dance floor. I was surprised to discover that he could dance. He spun me and we glided around the room.

“Did you enjoy singing?” he asked with a crooked smile, wickedly referring to the night I snuck into his speakeasy.

“Yes.” I was finally in the arms of the right man, and even though I was still in the same place, dancing to the same music, everything felt different and I was no longer bored.

“Would you like me to take you out of here?” he asked. I was shocked; it was as if he could read my mind.

“Yes.” We stopped dancing and he left the house. A few minutes later I excused myself, and walked out the back door without anyone noticing.

It was dark outside and I had to be careful as I walked to where he was waiting for me on the sidewalk in front of the house. We didn’t say anything to each other, but as we walked away from the house, he took my hand and I smiled, feeling intoxicated with freedom.