"Don't worry," Lifekit whispered. "Once the storm settles, we can go out. Just remember that."

            She watched as Goosekit's frown turned upside down. "Yeah, I guess so," he said, smiling once again.

            Lifekit turned, watching as Marshkit and Ripplekit continued to shout at each other. It only took a swat on the ear from Blueocean to shut the two up.

            "Why don't we pretend we're warding off MoonClan cats?" Marshkit suggested.

            The mention of MoonClan only made Lifekit think of her dead mother. "Oh, well, could it be another group of cats?"

            "Oh, that's right," Goosekit said sorrowfully. "Your mother died in the battle. Why don't we be StormClan cats?"

            StormClan was a fairly new clan to the forest, not yet being there six moons. The clan seemed to be doing well though, and Thornstar and their leader got along well.

            "Fine, I'm a big StormClan cat," Marshkit began. "Ripplekit, you're my deputy."

            "Who said you got to be leader?"

            "To be fair, you didn't say you were a leader," Goosekit pointed out.

            "Fine, I'm leader," Marshkit repeated. "Ripplekit, you're deputy."

            "Fine," she grumbled.

            "You can be leader if you want," Goosekit offered.

            Another thing she loved about Goosekit. His selflessness.

            "I've been leader a lot, Goosekit. It's your turn," Lifekit replied.

            "Okay, I'm Goosestar, leader of SnowClan!" he yowled. "And this is my deputy, Lifekit."

            "You're going down, StormClan!" Lifekit shouted.

            "That's what you think," Marshkit laughed. "ATTACK!" He quickly launched himself onto Lifekit, causing her to fall back into the den wall. She laughed, then pawed at the white tom lightly.

            "You're outnumbered, Marshstar!"

            "We will still win!" Marshkit shouted, continuing to paw at Lifekit. She turned, seeing Goosekit battling his sister. Boy, she didn't want to become an apprentice. All of this would be gone in the blink of an eye.

            "We forfeit!" Lifekit heard Goosekit call out weakly.

            Ripplekit laughed, jumping off the tom. "ANOTHER VICTORY FOR STORMCLAN!" she yowled.

            "Hush up!" Splashleap growled. Lifekit noticed her with her paws over her ears, trying to get some sleep.

            "I think it's time for you kits to get some sleep," Blueocean said softly.

            "But we haven't taken our dignity back yet," Lifekit argued, glaring at Goosekit. At her glare, he shrunk down.

            "Sorry. Ripplekit's really heavy," he whimpered.

            "You can take over StormClan tomorrow. Lifekit, your father doesn't want you staying up all night, does he?"

            "I guess not," Lifekit sighed, settling down into her cozy nest. While other kits got to sleep next to their mothers, Lifekit had nothing but vacant space and a small nest. Would her mother sleep next to her and keep her warm? She hoped.

            Lifekit slowly closed her eyes, shivering as she felt the leaf-bare breeze enter the den. Slowly, she closed her eyes and drifted off.

When Lifekit awoke, a thick pile of snow lined the entrance of the nursery. The snow had stopped falling, and a bright sun shined up above.

            "Wow, look at the snow," she breathed. Apparently, she had spoken too loudly because slowly, cats began to wake up.

            Ripplekit bursted by her, shouting, "SNOW! SNOW! Can I play in it, Mommy?"

            Blueocean rolled her eyes. "All right," she said.

            "Yay!" Ripplekit explained, racing into the snow. The second it touched her paws however, she winced.

            "Cold, cold!" she shouted, rushing back in.

            "It's not that bad," Lifekit complained, placing her paw into the snow. She had at first doubted herself, but really, it wasn't that bad. The cold sensation only lasted a few seconds before she felt like herself again.

            Slowly, she crept out of the den, watching as other cats walked around like the snow was nothing special. Why couldn't they appreciate it like her?

            "Come on, guys. Come out here," Lifekit said, issuing the three kits forward. Goosekit was the first to step out. He too winced at the cold sensation, then smiled, heading towards Lifekit.

            "Don't be a wimp," Marshkit growled at Ripplekit, padding out into the snow. Ripplekit followed behind him, growling, "I'm not a wimp."

            Lifekit looked around, watching as cats pointed and giggled. "The first snowfall for kits," they would whisper.

            Wasn't each snowfall as special as this one? Lifekit wasn't sure.

            She raised her head, seeing her father padding by.

            "DADDY! DADDY!" she shouted.

            He looked up, then padded towards her. "What is it?" he asked.

            "Look at the snow!" she exclaimed, jumping around.

            Patchfur laughed. "It's amazing how much you're like your mother. The first snow is always the most special."

            Finally, someone understood.

            Patchfur smiled, then padded off, leaving her alone to play with her friends.

            "I wish my dad would visit us that often," Marshkit whimpered.

            "Pinethorn is deputy, and that's a big responsibility," Lifekit explained. "My dad doesn't visit me that much either, but don't worry, parents play a big part in your life. Imagine when you're an apprentice or warrior and you go on patrols with him. Wouldn't that be fun?"

            Ripplekit smiled. "Yes, with Blueocean too! And you three," she said, pointing to the kits.

            Lifekit smiled, glad she had cheered them up. "I'll be an apprentice soon though," she sighed.

            Goosekit frowned, then touched his paw to hers. "It's okay. We'll still be able to train together, even if it's not for that long."

            "Of course," Lifekit said. "Because you three are my best friends, and I wouldn't trade you all for anything else in the world." Lifekit bit her lip after the words escaped her mouth. She truly loved her friends, but if she had the chance to bring her mother back, would she give them up?

            No, it was stupid to need something you had never had in the first place. Her friends would stay in her life, and she was positive her mother would not enter her life. But like her father had said, her mother lived inside her, as did all of StarClan. She knew her mother was only up in the stars with the other cats...