Chapter One

Briar York stared up at Grimmauld Place, waiting patiently as the building had begun to shake- revealing number 12. She had only been here twice, both for major meetings she had been ordered to attend.

Despite still being a student of Hogwarts, Briar had been permitted under certain circumstances- and after promising a seething Mrs. Weasley that Briar wouldn’t say a word to any of the Weasley children- to join the Order of the Phoenix. Her father, an esteemed Auror, whom she had worked under during her own training, had protested the idea of her joining- but being a legal adult had its perks.

At the door into Headquarters, Briar had remembered not to knock or ring the doorbell- prior to Mrs. Weasley’s instructions- and opened the door only enough for her to slip through. Her relief to be in a secure building was short-lived- when a small body had hurled itself at her, croaking out obscene words and accusations.

“Filthy, vile beast! Desecrating the sanctuary of the Noble House of Black!” whatever it was had a tight grip on her hair, and was beating her down with its fists. Briar was screeching, trying to extract it from her scalp. “Filthy bloodsucker, come to feast on Kreacher’s Mistress! Kreacher will protect his Mistress!”

The sound of footsteps and more shouting filled the hall- dusted curtains flew open, the hall was filled immediately with a horrible, toe-curling scream.

“Kreacher!”

“Flesh as pale as the moon it stalks under! Reeking of death-“

“Get off me!”

“Blood traitors and mudbloods- spoiling the Noble House of Black!-“

“Someone shut that picture up! - Kreacher, stop at once!”

The house was suddenly filled with abrupt silence as curtains were jammed closed, and the House Elf in her hair clattered to the ground, paralysed by a direct order.

Briar was panting from her struggle, hair amuck and eyes wide. She gave a hesitant smile, “Hey, everyone.”

____

Briar was seated with a hot mug of coffee in the kitchen; Mrs. Weasley was kind enough to fish out a comb and repair Briar’s distraught hair.

“How did Harry’s relocation turn out?” Briar questioned, flinching as Mrs. Weasley tugged on a particularly painful knot.

“It was flawless,” Sirius replied, sounding almost bitter. “Although I wish Dumbledore had let me go instead of Remus.”

Briar gave him a bland look, “You can’t exactly go marching into a Muggle complex with a ten grand bounty on your head.”

Sirius scowled, crossing his arms, “I could have easily gone in disguise; I’m going stir crazy in here!”

 Briar gave a hefty sigh, thanking Mrs. Weasley, and draining her cup. “I don’t know what I should tell you, Sirius.” She murmured.

Sirius dropped his arms, “Give me permission to leave this-“

“No.” she stood abruptly, “I can’t risk it- your too important to both Harry and-“

“-We thought we heard your musical tones.-““-although it certainly has been a while.”

Briar swivelled from where she stood, her heart throbbed almost painfully. A grin stretched over her face, matching Fred and George Weasley’s. Within seconds arms were around her with a loud ‘pop’ sound. Briar laughed, squeezing them both tight, “Passed your apparition test then?”

“With flying colors,” said Fred, a handsome grin on his face.  Briar chuckled, “I’m glad; I failed at least twice before passing.” She looked thoughtful, “I lost at least ten inches of hair the first time I tried.”