Chapter 20 << Late Night Binge

Dakota's P.O.V

This was the moment my life was finally going to begin. Justin was giving me the opportunity to see the world through his eyes. I waited on the front steps of the group home. Every one of my senses just teeming with excitement. I'd said my goodbyes and had my things packed. Justin texted me a few minutes ago to let me know his driver was on the way to get me.

I was a little bummed he wasn't coming to get me himself, but he told me we could hang out when his interviews were over. It was a nice day today in California, the palm tree stood nice and high, waving at me in the gentle breeze.

A black towncar pulled into the driveway of the house. I stumbled down the steps dragging my luggage along side me. Its was small, but it was the only thing I had, so I made do with it.

"Good evening Miss Blakely" the driver greeted me and offered to take my bag. I declined and he opened the car door for me. Once inside, the driver closed it and took his seat behind the wheel. I rested against the window and made a mental note that it would be quite a while before I saw this place again. As we drove further, the view of the suburbs slowy disappeared; The city came into view. The busy streets were filled with the hustle and bustle of the average Californian. When we reached our destination, the driver let me in the house and went one his way.

I stood in the main hallway overtaken by a sense of happiness. This was it, I had officially arrived, this was were I was meant to be! Hopefully the was were I'd remain . . .

Taking a deep breath I sat my belongings by the doorway and made my way through the house. Justin wouldn't be home for a little while so I decied to get comfortable. With a bag of Lays potato chips in hand I sat on the floor of the living room and flipped through channels. I didn't wanna risk getting food on anything so I avoided the furniture. Minutes turned into hours and the day droned on. My eye lids of course became heavier with every second. It was only a matter of time before I was out cold.

<<<<<<<♢>>>>>>>

Justin's P.O.V

Tired and worn out from another long day, I relaxed in warm leather seats of my Suburban. The day ran a little longer than I'd expected, but honestly I was just glad all the interviews were over. It was beyond me how several different people could ask the same question 5 different ways. Seriously? if I didn't answer the first time why would I the second or third time?

Taking a deep breath I made my way to my front door and stuck the key in. When I first entered there was nothing I wanted more than to dive into my bed. But, the sound of the television caught my attention. I staggered down the hallway into the living room. There balled up on my fur rug was Kota. I smiled and grabbed her bag of open chips. Closing them, I sat them on the coffee table and kneeled down next to her. Soft snores escaped her causing her chest to steadily rise and fall.

I admired the small creases that were etched into her forehead. She had a look of innocence, and might I say, she certainly wore it well. Dakota was definitely a sweet girl, she just had the tendency to let her emotions guide her. Like I said, she was naive and too young.

But, let's face it, she's better off here with me. I know that every time I leave her behind she'll just be waiting for me to come back for her. The truth is, I don't think I can leave her again, especially not for such a long time. She didn't belong in that fucking place, no one does. I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I had no one to lean on. With out the love and support of someone, how was she able to fend for herself?

Picking Dakota up, I rested her head on my shoulder. The feeling of her small breathes fanned my neck. Holding her in such close proximity was tough, I couldn't stop thinking about the way he soft skin felt on mine. Shit, being close to her under any circumstance was excruciatingly painful. As I tucked her into the guest bed, I went to shut off the lights.