Chapter 66

"I have been searching for this cure for nearly half my life. The idea to use aconite, or wolfsbane, although a known poison, as a potion ingredient came to me in one of my defense against the dark arts classes where I was teaching a particularly interesting lesson about werewolves. That is where I got the name for this potion, the Wolfsbane Potion."

Anger made my hands shake as I read the article on the front page of the Daily Prophet.

"For his great achievement, Damocles Belby has been awarded an Order of Merlin, Second Class." Sirius read over my shoulder. "On his plans for future projects, Belby replied he will begin an early retirement, where he regretfully has quit from his position as a professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He notes he was 'probably the best defense against the dark arts professor Hogwarts has ever seen and he will miss his pupils almost as much as they will mis him.'"

Ex-Professor Belby's face ripped in half as I furiously tore the paper to pieces. Although the movement made my injured and swollen hand (from punching the suit of armor) throb, I delighted in ripping the article that should've been about me. Sirius noticed me wince and wiggle my purple and scabbed knuckles and frowned at me.

"Are you sure you don't want to get that checked out by Madam Pomfrey?" He asked for the umpteenth time.

"No." I seethed. I knew if I went to Madam Pomfrey she would tell me it was broken and wouldn't let me play in the Quidditch match against Ravenclaw for the House Cup. "None of this would've happened if Belby wasn't such a lying, talentless, stealing, idiotic, piece of-"

"Vixen, use that anger in the match today." James piped in. I scowled and stomped my muddy boot on the picture remnants where the photographed Belby continued to shake hands with the Minister. Sirius grumbled something under his breath and left, leaving James to stare at the field looking rather green.

Our captain was completely ready to walk out to the field, but looked more nervous than ever.  His foot tapped anxiously in the grass and he had a forceful smile on his face. Maybe he was so nervous because Lily told him good luck.

"Prongs, are you really that nervous about the match?" I questioned. His hazel eyes snapped up to meet mine.

"Not the match, no." James muttered.

"He's lying." Mary, one of our chasers, snorted. "I heard Lily finally agreed to go out with him if we win this match."

Red immediately flushed James' face and I beamed at him.

"Really?" I laughed. "I didn't hear about that one."

I slapped James on the back and yelped when I realized I used my right hand. Sirius appeared immediately at the sound and muttered a spell at my hand. Immediately, I lost all feeling and the dull throb subsided. Sirius handed me my bat and I wrapped my right hand around it. I resisted the urge to wince again as he tentatively watched me for any sign of pain. My fingers seemed like they would barely be able to hold on for five minutes in their numb state, let alone the whole match.

"Are you sure-" Sirius began.

"I can take care of myself." I snapped. "I'm fine."

"Well, I can't stop you from playing in the match." Sirius sighed. "And I wouldn't want to. Al is a decent beater, but he has nothing on you, even when you're injured."