Chapter 54

"Five more minutes!"

Professor Flitwick's voice rang out across the stifling Great Hall. I continued to stare ahead at Sirius in boredom, considering I finished the defense against the dark arts O.W.L. nearly a half hour before everyone else. Turning two seats to my left, I watched Remus, who was engrossed in his exam and tapped his chin with his quill, thinking furiously. I leaned back in my seat and crossed my hands behind my head, not wanting to stare at the exam on my table any longer than necessary.

James turned around and grinned at Sirius, who gave James the thumbs up. Both boys were still giving me the silent treatment after I lost the quidditch cup for them. James' eyes went right over me and watched Remus as he steadily finished checking his answers. I knew they would come around eventually, I was too amazing for them to resist.

"Quills down, please!" Professor Flitwick squeaked. Peter, at the front of the room, hurriedly scrawled in a few more final answers before Flitwick could notice. "That means you too, Stebbins! Please remain seated while I collect your parchment! Accio!"

Our exams flew into the air and into Professor Flitwick's outstretched arms, knocking him backward off his feet. The hall erupted in laughter until a few kind Hufflepuffs helped the squat man to his feet again.

"Thank you... Thank you." Professor Flitwick panted. "Very well, everybody, you're free to go!"

I scrambled out of my seat to follow James and Sirius out of the hall and on to the grounds. Remus and Peter caught up with us

"Did you like question ten, Moony?" Sirius asked and messed with Remus' hair.

"Loved it." Remus said. "'Give five signs that identify the werewolf.' Excellent question."

"D'you think you managed to get all the signs?" James asked in tones of mock concern.

"Think I did!" Remus said and scratched his chin in a serious way. "One: He's sitting on my chair. Two: He's wearing my clothes. Three: His name's Remus Lupin..."

I laughed with them as we stood under a shade tree by the lake. Sirius and James leaned casually against the tree while I took a seat on the ground next to Peter, who wasn't laughing with us, but looked rather worried.

"I got the snout shape, the pupils of the eyes, and the tufted tail..." Peter said, his eyes flitting between all four of us nervously. "But I couldn't think what else-"

"How thick are you, Wormtail?" James scoffed. "You run round with a werewolf once a month-"

"Keep your voice down!" Remus cut him off, searching for anyone who might've heard James. He eyed Snape warily, who was coming down the hill towards us, his greasy nose buried in his papers, luckily not paying attention to us. He sat alone near a clump of bushes, keeping a purposeful distance away.

"Well, I thought that paper was a piece of cake." Sirius shrugged. "I'll be surprised if I don't get an Outstanding on it at least."

Everything seemed peaceful at last, even if things were still tense between me and Sirius and James. The sunlight was dazzling on the smooth surface of the lake, and most of our O.W.L.s were over. Remus had already pulled out a transfiguration book and was reading. Sirius haughtily looked around at the students enjoying the summer weather and rolled his eyes.