31: The Departed

When I was young, when I was a human, I caught my mother giving a kiss to my father. They separated when I cleared my throat, then made fun of them. My mother laughed and pecked my father's lips while his cheeks reddened into the shade of strawberries. She looked at me and said, "there's nothing more articulate than a kiss." I asked her what was she talking about, the same face of confusion mimicked on my father's. Once again, she laughed, and then said, "a kiss is a question you want to spend your whole life answering. When you kiss the person you love, the one you want nothing more but to spend your whole life with, you will know that you won't ever be so happy in your life."

   When I was young, when I was human, I thought her words were directed to myself and Damon. But, now, as I stood against the wall of the empty Mikaelson mansion with the younger Salvatore kissing me full on the mouth, I realised that she wasn't. Damon's kisses were filled with love, yes, and I desired to continue kissing him, but... His kisses were different, the opposite compared to Stefan's. All while he kissed me, while his fingers grazed my hip and neck, my mind was blank. I didn't think, I couldn't think; I let his lips consume me, let fire ablaze in my veins. In that moment, I lost my composure.

   "We'll call you from the road," Damon said from the driver's side, a small smirk playing around his lips. "After we drop Klaus' body off in the Atlantic, of course." He had arrived about an hour after leaving Elena at her house, after an hour Stefan and I spent kissing. Although it had been at least another hour since we kissed, I could still feel his lips on mine. I felt his fingers tracing my skin, his smile against my lips, the small peck he gave me on my forehead right before he got in the car.

   "Be careful, please." I said, looking at both brothers with a stern look in my eyes.

   "When are we not?" Damon asked, his face showing sarcasm.

   "Always," I pointed out as I stepped away from the car and crossed my arms. "With you, nothing's ever careful."

   "We'll be careful," Stefan said, giving me a smile. "I'll call you soon." As soon as he finished those words, Damon sped away. I watched the car become smaller, then disappear all together after it left the long driveway. It was then where my surroundings became darker than the usual.

   The house, which was usually bright, was completely dark. The inside was covered in darkness, shadows dancing in my line of vision. Crickets and a few birds sang their songs to the night, making the atmosphere be a bit more creepy that it already was. The only thing that was left to make it feel like a horror movie would be the fog, which thankfully was nowhere in sight. I took a deep breath, and began to walk down the driveway while thinking that Damon could have been nice enough to take me to the boarding house before they left. 

   As I was walking down the road with my hands in my pocket and a hum in my throat, my phone began to ring. I smiled, thinking that it was Stefan who called. When I pulled out my phone, I became curious of the name that flashed in my screen. I stopped walking and swiped the green button, answering. "Elena, hi. Is everything o–"

   "Clara!" It wasn't Elena who spoke, but a male. I recognized the voice belonging to the youngest Gilbert, Jeremy. "Clara, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't call Damon or Stefan, and I seriously couldn't call Caroline or Bonnie, and I don't know where Matt is..."

   "Jeremy!" I stopped him. "First of all, take a deep breath. What are you talking about? What happened?"

   He took a deep breath. "I found Elena unconscious and surrounded by blood. It was bad, and I was worried, so I took her to the hospital."

   "You took her to the hospital?" I yelled. I slapped my hand to my forehead and turned, looking down the dark road in disbelief. "Jeremy, what the hell? Alaric is still out there and every remaining Original wants her dead so they can stop him. You're basically serving her on a silver platter."