01: The Return

It was sunset. I watched with an unwavering gaze as a fiery red orb of light slowly sank beneath the horizon, and threads of light lingered in the sky, mingling with the rolling clouds, dyeing the heavens first orange, then red, then dark blue, until all that was left of the sunset was a chalky mauve, and then that melted away in turn as Stygian darkness took over the sky. Sequin-silver stars like the glowing embers of a dying fire winked down at me, illuminating the atramentous curtain of sky, and then suddenly the clouds parted, and I found myself looking at a lustrous, argent disc casting brilliant rays of moonlight onto the dark grounds.

   "Isn't it beautiful?" I sighed. "If only every night could be like this..." I let out a small smile and leaned forward, keeping my eyes on the sky.

   "It can be, Clara." A voice hinted besides me, it sounding calm and slightly annoyed. I turned my head to look over at Damon, who was looking at me with a small smile around his lips. "We can run away."

   I let out a soft chuckle, and shook my head. "We can't," I told him, pulling the small blanket closer to my body. "Do you not remember, Damon? We got caught before, and father had you thrown in jail for a couple of days."

   "Oh, I remember," he laughed, leaning back. "He kept insulting me every moment he could. He only stopped when you came to visit."

   "And then he would kick me out," I giggled, shaking my head. "If it weren't for Stefan and I, I think you would still be in jail."

   Damon rolled his eyes and turned his head in my direction, raising his brows. "Are you sure it was just Stefan and you?"

   "Who else would have begged Sheriff Forbes to let the loving Damon Salvatore out of jail?" I giggled once again, covering my smile slightly with the blanket. "I begged while Stefan said that you would behave. I'm sure this is in no way behaving, love."

   "You're right," he agreed, leaning closer to me. "I promised I would behave, but I broke that promise a long time ago."

   "Oh?" I arched a brow. "How did you break that promise, Damon? I've seen you behave so far."

   He raised a finger and grinned. "So far," he repeated, "but that was only in the presence of others. When we're alone, I can't really... I can't behave."

   I laughed once again and shook my head, pushing him away. He laughed and came closer, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me to him. His lips lingered on my neck, dipping small and careful kisses as I laughed and tried to push him away from me. He laughed as well. Our laughs echoed through the quarry, mingling with the chirping of the crickets, croaking of the frogs, and the waterfall.

   Damon's laughter was the only thing I paid attention to. It was what made me smile, what made my skin become warm from the slightly wet dress and the cold breeze the night brought. That boy—no, man, was the one that made my stomach be filled with butterflies and my heart accelerate from its normal beat. If I said that I didn't love him, oh how I would be lying. I loved him. I loved him more than anything.

   The chair I was sitting on was shaken harshly. I blinked several times as I focused back to the room instead of my thoughts. The first thing I saw was my reflection on the window, and next to me was the devil himself. Damon stood besides the chair, arms crossed and a slight glare as he looked down at me. I sighed and turned my head to him. "What?"

   "You're coming with me," he said, but it sounded more like an order.

   "Why?" I asked, laying the glass of alcohol on the table besides the chair. "Is there a reason why I need to go with you?"