NINE

★★★★★

NINE; LOVE AND WAR

     BLAIRE FELT LIKE she was in a movie. The kind of film where someone goes into a coma but they can still see and hear everything around them. Her vision was tainted but she could definitely hear what was happening around her. She tried to wake up numerous times but failed endlessly. She remembered the blood colored eyes of the redhead vampire and the way her arm had Blaire pinned up to the tree. She knew her body was in shock from the traumatic experience.

     "Bear." It was Embry's voice again. He never left Blaire's side until someone absolutely forced him to. She had been out for two weeks, and the doctors said she should've been awake two hours after her attack. Sam told them it was an animal, since Carlisle left and no one else in the medical field knew about vampires.

     Embry rubbed his thumb over Blaire's hand soothingly.

     The hunt for Victoria was more intense after her attack on Blaire. Embry wished he could be out in the woods, chasing after the bloodsucker, but he didn't want to leave his imprint alone in case she woke up.

     "I miss you. I miss hearing your voice," he whispered, staring up at her. He was sat on one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs.

     Dahlia was in the corner of the room, fast asleep. She hadn't left much either after she learned about Victoria. She was keeping a secret from the pack, which was why she hadn't phased since Blaire's been in the hospital. She promised herself that she would only tell her sister.

     "Things haven't been so well lately," Embry confided, sighing. The leech seemed to be causing havoc everywhere. She had given Harry Clearwater a heart attack in the woods, and he passed away trying to cover the tracks that the pack left behind. Bella Swan left to save her boyfriend, Edward. Jacob was heartbroken and kept away in his room. Everyone was consoling the Clearwater family for their loss. Harry was a beloved resident of La Push. "I'm hoping you'll wake up soon to make everything better."

     The door swung open, revealing Sam. His arms were folded across his chest but you could tell there was pain in his eyes. When he was dating Leah, Harry was like a father to him because his own deserted him and his mother at the thought of raising a family. It hurt even more that he couldn't speak with Leah because she still held a burning hatred for the man. "Embry, I need you and Dahlia to come with me."

     "I can't, Sam," Embry muttered, keeping his gaze on Blaire. It was his alpha's order, but Blaire came first. She would always come first.

     "Embry, I'm not going to repeat myself."

     "When Emily was stuck in here, did you leave her?"

     The question made tension arise in the air. Sam still blamed himself for the three scars running down Emily's face. She would always be beautiful, of course, but the fact that he lost control and damaged her that way made his blood boil.

     "Fine," Sam spoke gruffly. He hated that Embry talked to him in such a rude manner but didn't want to press on the subject. He knew the teenager was tearing himself apart because Blaire got hurt by Victoria. She was alone in the woods and Embry should've walked her home. "I'll be at the Clearwater's house."

     Embry nodded, resting his chin on Blaire's hand. A few minutes of silence passed before he heard some shuffling.

     Dahlia stood up from her seat, extending her arms in the air to stretch them. She yawned and took the seat on Blaire's left side. "When do you think she'll wake up?" She asked Embry, holding concern for her sister.