Alana stiffened as her eyes shifted to Fallon. He appeared angry.

            “Is their something you need from the Lady, brother?” he growled ominously as he came to stand between them, gold eyes burning into a pair of cold gray ones.

            Curran’s grin widened, “I was merely asking for the Lady’s assistance, she is a healer is she not?”

            Fallon accessed him with suspicion. “You have sufficed worse.”

            Silver eyes shifted past Fallon’s shoulder. “Mayhap it pleases me to have the Lady tend my wounds.”

            “Find another.” Fallon hissed as he grasped Alana’s arm and started down the hall, pulling her along.

            Alana spared a glance over her shoulder and was unnerved by Curran’s dark expression. When they turned the corner and lost sight of him, Alana couldn’t help but feel slightly relieved and comforted by Fallon’s presence.

            Peering up at Fallon, she noticed the tension in his jaw, felt the anger in his grip and formidable stance.

            When they reached her room, he released her and she backed away, rubbing at her arm where his fingers had been. She studied him as he crossed the room, his anger seeping from his livid frame.

            She was unsure, but she sensed his anger was directed more so at Curran than herself. “You are angry with him.”

            “Aye.” It had not been a question but he seemed compelled to reply.

            “He provokes you.” She stepped toward him, noticing the distinct tautness of his shoulders. “You would fight him like that?”

            He turned around to peer at her, “If I am challenged, I have no other choice but to accept.”

            “Even your brother?”

            “My brother is a fool.” Fallon snapped. “I merely accepted to teach him a lesson.”

            “Why does he challenge you?”

            “Why would any man challenge another?” he said, “He is envious.”

            “But he is your brother-“

            “Half-brother.” He cut in, “His mother had been a slave from a neighboring village.”

            Alana stepped forward, “What happened to his mother?”

            Fallon stared at the wall with a distant look. “I know little of the woman. My brother does not speak of her or of her whereabouts.”