08 | an uneventful party

Start from the beginning

"She's a ten," Sachi murmured in response to the unspoken question. "Almost tips the scale, if I do say so myself. You should try it. It can't hurt."

Erin considered it for a moment before taking a few harsh breaths and nodding her head. "I'm gonna do it," she said, more to convince herself. "I just need to whip me up something strong so I don't worry too much about what I'm gonna say. I'm definitely going to embarrass myself." She groaned as she thought of the possible situations, and Sachi pressed a hand to her shoulder.

"Relax," Sachi murmured, a hint of a smile pulling at her lips. "Get the drink, and just go for it. Bring out some of that Ambros charm." She poked a finger at her stomach. "Good luck."

"Okay. Good luck. Right." Erin turned to leave, but stopped before disappearing completely to lift her hand in a mock salute. "Wish me luck."

"I already did!"

By then, she was gone, and Sachi was by herself. Well, not completely by herself. She stepped around the groups dancing and talking to get to Elliot on the far wall. He had his phone out in an attempt to distract himself from the scene, and he didn't even notice her approach until she took his cell out of his hands.

"Hey," he scolded. "You can't just take that."

"El, we're at a party. And you're on your phone? What the hell."

Elliot rolled his eyes. "Parties aren't my thing," he said. "I only go to them when I have to."

"Well, you're here now!" She waved her hands to try and make the situation more exciting, but from the look on his face, she failed. "Come on—don't leave me by my lonesome. Hang out with me." She held out a hand for him to take, and after a flicker of hesitation, he put his hand in hers and let her lead him out to the dance floor.

☁☁☁☁

"Seriously?" Chloe, one of the people Sachi had gone up to and introduced herself to, asked. "You two aren't dating?"

After dancing, Sachi and Elliot had gone exploring and ended up in a den upstairs with another group of acquainted friends. They joined effortlessly, and they were now curled up on the couches as they talked about meaningless topics: one of which included Sachi's relationship status.

"Um, no." Elliot's cheeks reddened, and his lips pulled into a frown at the question. "We're not dating. Just friends."

"That's what they all say," Chloe murmured, before taking another shot. When she noticed Sachi watching, she held the bottle out to her. "Want some? It burns at first, but it'll get better."

"No thanks," Sachi said swiftly. She'd already grabbed a Heineken on the way up, and she still had that same bottle clutched between her hands now. As if to prove herself, she lifted it to her lips and let more burn down her throat.

"All right." Chloe set the bottle aside as she snuggled more into the boy on her right whose name was already forgotten.

Sachi glanced down at her phone where her recent text messages were pulled up. A new one from Erin came in at that exact moment, and she scrolled down to read the full message.

Erin Ambros (11:32): omg sach im dying. her name is clare and she's so sweet and funny but im getting so nervous what do I do???

Me (11:32): grab another drink?

Erin Ambros (11:34): SACH

Erin Ambros (11:34): this is serious tell me what to do