Chapter 9: Rise

Brooke had efficiently arranged for all pack members to gather at HQ after classes. When I arrived after shayman class, I immediately saw Boe and Brooke with their heads together at the dais. Meanwhile, Mike leaned against a Roman-style pillar, near the entrance.

"Hey pup," brown eyes flashed mischievously as he dipped his head in salutation.

"Hey Beta." I inclined my head to our roommates, "What's that about?"

"I'm not entirely sure." Mike sat down in a nearby chair. I joined him, sinking into the plush cushions.

"So you, Brooke, and Boe have been friends since the beginning of your pack days?"

"Yeah, we were all pups at the same time. Boe and I were paired together for dorms because we're both wolf skin-walkers."

"Wait! You just said skin-walker; you're a werewolf."

"I was bitten by a rouge werewolf about a year ago. He jumped my family over the holidays, biting my abdomen. My parents tried to get some wolfsbane on it, as it's an herb used to prevent lycanthropy.

Though, they were too late. We saw my wolf paw-print disappear that night. At first, everyone was frustrated. But eventually, I became accustomed to the change. As it turns out, my switch from skin-walker to werewolf was a rare occurrence; wolf skin-walkers were usually unaffected by a werewolf's bite."

Suddenly, Brooke addressed the pack. "I need all senior wolves in the Meeting Room."

Senior wolves: those that had been a part of the pack at least fourteen moons. Currently, there were about a handful of them.

They left through a heavy door, into a private room. I couldn't see what was inside; Mike had the door shut behind him before I could sneak a peek.

Now alone, I took up Mike's spot, against the pillar. From the shadows, I could hear the other non-seniors continuing about their business. My copy of the prophecy was soon resting in my palms.

Engrossed with its words, I didn't take note of someone sneaking up on me, until I heard a voice next to my ear. "What's that?" 

I started, looking down. The paper was swiftly hid back in my pocket, "It's nothing."

"I don't have to be a Zana to know that it's not nothing," I met Boe's gaze. Panicked, I scanned the rest of HQ; all the seniors had returned. Based on the occasional glances shot at me, I instantly knew the meeting's topic of conversation.

Eyes trailed on the floor, I replied. "I assure you, it's just nonsense."

"Can you look at me and say that?"

So I did. Nevertheless, he seemed troubled. The Gamma stuck close to me like glue.

Some other wolves flocked us, "So? I heard you were graduating today. First, congrats. Second, you should challenge for the Alpha position one day."

Boe narrowed his eyes, "You do know that Mae has to win the right to challenge the Alpha, right? She must prove herself in a one-on-one fight against the Gamma, as well as the Beta. Only when she beats us, can she challenge for the Alpha position."

I placed a hand on Boe's shoulder, "No need to worry about that. I don't want to become Alpha."

Those gathered gaped, "Why not? You could win."

After taking a long breath, I spoke. "Well, there's more to being Alpha than winning a fight. To be a good leader, you have to have courage. You must be brave enough to set trails for others follow. You must show calm in the face of tragedy and composure when all of your people's troubles rests on your shoulders.