I nodded and he quickly helped me put her up on Levi's back. I didn't waste anytime getting back to the house. Levi running faster than he ever had for me.

I hadn't even gotten us off the horse before I heard the sirens and the ambulance shooting up the driveway. All the EMT's rushing out of the ambulance towards me with a stretcher in tow. 

Wasting no time, they took her away from me and put her in the back. I couldn't seem to move my feet as I watched them drive her away.

Shaking my head from the shock, I put Levi in the barn and jumped in Alaina's truck. The drive to the hospital seemed to take forever.

I don't know what I would do without her. She's my whole life. 

My lover. My very best friend. And my soul mate.

If I lost her, I don't know what would become of me. My life wouldn't be worth living anymore.

[*]

Arriving at the hospital, I wasted no time to run inside. Not even bothering to apologize to the people I ran into along the way.

"Alaina Stokes! Where is she?!" I asked the receptionist.

"She's in surgery right now. Have a seat and we'll be with you when she's finished." She told me calmly.

"Surgery?! What kind of surgery?!" I questioned, and I felt my stomach twist.

"She's lost a lot of blood and her left lung was punctured by the bullet." She said. "She's in very bad shape." She smiled sadly.

"I have to see her. Please." I begged.

"I can't let you do that, sir. I will be sure to let you know when she's finished. Then you can go and see her." She promised.

Nodding hesitantly, I walked over to a random chair and sat down. 

She's in very bad shape. She's in very bad shape. She's in very bad shape.

That was all I could seem to think about. Those five words repeated over and over in my head. Taunting me, tormenting me.

My phone began to ring, making me jump. Pulling it out of my pocket, I saw that Dustin was calling so I quickly answered.

"Hello." My voice probably sounded so broken.

"How is she doing?" He asked anxiously.

"Not good. She lost a lot of blood and the bullet punctured her lung." I almost whispered.

"Fuck." He sighed. "Well, I don't have good news either I'm afraid."

"You might as well just tell me." I mumbled, running my hand through my hair.

"Rebel is gone. He didn't survive." I tensed at his words. Alaina was going to be heartbroken when or if she finds out.

Don't think like that, I scolded myself.

"She's going to be so upset." I told him truthfully.

"I know." He sighed. "The cops are here also. They are going to want to talk to you and Alaina when she wakes up."

"Fan-fucking-tastic." I said sarcastically.

"I know. Apparently things were not what they seemed with her father. I'll let them fill you in though." His voice was bitter at the mention of her father.

"Thanks, Dustin. Take care of everything until I get back." 

"You got it, boss. Keep me posted on everything that happens." He said, but paused for a moment. "Ryan?"