Happy Birthday

Melanie's POV•

I open my eyes, and my mother is leaning over me, adoring me. "Melanie. Your name is Melanie." The male doctor holds me up.

Poof!

He drops me on the bed, a blue fox. "Zodiac curse...curse..." My mother mumbles. She takes me out of the hospital.

I sit up in my bed and look around. It's been 14 exact years since then, and today is my birthday. My mom is at the foot of the bed, smiling at me. "Hi sweetie, happy birthday!" She perks. I smile. She was the only one to ever accept me. To care for me. To love me.

She is the only person I can trust and confide in. "Hi mom! What's first?" I ask. "We're going on a walk, so make sure you put something cozy on." "Ok!"

We've been walking for about twenty minutes now, and my mom says "Go." "What?" I ask. "Leave me and never come back." She says. "I-I don't understand." She slaps me, hard. "GO AWAY!!!" She yells, and I run into the forest crying.

As I'm running, I tumble and fall flat on my face. I realize what's happened: I've been rejected.

As I mope, I think she doesn't mean it, so I head back to the house, hoping my mom's there with open arms. I try the knob. The doors locked.

Knock knock

She opens the door, sees me, then closes it again. I slump to the ground and try to sleep, but the my mom- well, my used to be mom- yells at me to get off her yard. I run to the forest and cry myself to sleep.

You have to get up now, I tell myself. You need to survive. What's first? I head to town. I think they serve lunch at they Kaibara High School, so I have to go to school if I want to eat.

At the office, I enrolled, ignoring the parent section completely. The lady took one look at my face and decided not to ask, she just nodded. One day later I would be attending.

Back in a secluded section of the forest I fell asleep. As always, I cried to afford the rest. Then I woke up in the morning and went to school.