Chapter 4 - Chapters

CHAPTER 4

Chapters

Light shone through the windowpanes of Lily's room the next morning, trying to shake her awake. Her dark red hair was strewn about her pillow, her green eyes remaining closed. The baggy, blue sweatshirt she wore to Truth or Dare was all crumpled, and her sweats were rolled up from all the times she moved her legs as she slept. Recognizing the bird's familiar jovial chirp from outside, Lily's eyes steadily opened. She lay in bed, staring at her ceiling for a couple of minutes.

Today's the day, Lily. The last first day of school. I wonder what classes I have today...I really would enjoy Potions; it would be just wonderful to be partnered with Chloe, working on complex potions. Oh, and the library is finally open for business! How exciting! Ugh...I hope I don't have History of Magic this year...the subject is just so dull! It is so easy that I pass notes with Ana practically the whole time. Merlin, I hope the Marauders aren't in many of my classes to distract me. They are way too rowdy! Anyway, I might as well get up. Take a deep breath, and...

She shot up from her bed, her blue comforter flying to the opposite side of the bed. Lily briskly put her messy hair up into a bun, and made her bed. She made sure that all of the pillows were aligned just right, and that there wasn't a wrinkle in the sheets. Then, she trudged over to the bathroom to take a quick shower.

When her warm feet touched the cold marble floor, she shivered a bit before continuing on her way to her shower. She made her way to the blue-marble-type shower closest to her. Before taking her clothes off, she grabbed a maroon towel and placed it on the hook right outside the shower curtain. She looked right and left, making sure James wasn't in here. Lily made sure she couldn't hear any footsteps, before undressing herself and stepping into the hot shower. Seconds later, she thought that she heard someone come into the bathroom, but assured herself that it was nothing. It was probably nothing. Right? After a minute or two, she forgot about it and began to hum a popular muggle song, "Your Song," by Elton John. She applied her shampoo and conditioner before quietly singing the lyrics.

"And you can tell everybody this is your song / It may be quite simple, but now that it's done, I hope you don't mind / I hope you don't mind that I put down in words-" she sang, smiling as she grabbed the soap.

"How wonderful life is while you're in the world!" James shouted from his shower across the hall.

Startled, Lily stopped singing and poked her head out of the shower, feeling a twinge of annoyance in the back of her mind. James's head was just outside the shower curtain as well, smiling smugly with a glint of mischief in his eyes.

"Evans, why don't you continue? We were doing so well!" he asked innocently, flashing his pearly white teeth at Lily.

"Potter, do you mind? I am trying to shower. I already have to deal with your regular voice; I don't need your attempted singing one," she snapped, as she took her head away from the curtains.

"Testy this morning, Evans?" James mocked, shouting over the noise of rushing water.

"Before you came in here, I was perfectly okay. Now, yes, I am testy, thanks to you," she sneered, shutting off the water and grabbing the towel.

"Aww, I'm not that bad!" James said, miming being hurt.

"Unfortunately, you are," she said, wrapping the towel around herself.

"Maybe you could give me lessons, Evans! It would be a good thing for us to develop a 'professional' bond, and that is just the way to do it, right?" James suggested, stretching his hands over the shower so Lily could see that he put air quotes around professional.