17: Bandit

His emotionless remark left my mind blank. I mean I probably thought a lot of things but I think they all stabbed each other and took their place in the cemetery in my mind for lost thoughts.

But the way he said it. It was almost like a dead body saying it after coming back and is now in his time of leaving. Almost, soulless like.

I believe in the existence of souls. I mean that's good place in my opinion to start for the existence of ghosts. Not that I'm psychotic but when I'm supposed to sleep and can't sleep I go for dark topics and if I stop thinking for a fraction of a second, it's gone. And I find it months or years later in the graveyard I spoke about earlier. And I rarely dig them up because it's quite hard to tell which is which since all that's left is bones.

But back to the point, Sometimes I wonder what happens to the soul when someone becomes a zombie. Like when does it leave? When is it no longer human? When it becomes one or when it gets bitten? It's almost like trying to figure out when a fetus gets its soul. When formed or when it's outside its momma?

So if Kellin said that the shot was temporary, which it possibly is since the wound didn't clot it just got worse and since he's acting all... Droopy, nah that's probably the pain in the head doing its magic. But Johnnie said that the infection was getting worse, infecting corpses. Oh god don't tell me the infection got under his skin while it was exposed. No I don't think so. The virus probably wasn't so bad here as it was back in Nevada. Besides, he's not a corpse. Or at least I hope so.

But it still infected birds... God what even is happening?

My train of thought hit the brakes when I heard a thud sound and saw Kellin had slumped into the shelf he leaned on when we first came here. The gash in his forehead was giving out all the blood that it wished.

I should get a first aid kit as soon as possible. I moved away and began going through the isles. Much of them contained food and nothing else. Some had tools, some had accessories. I went through all and there was nothing. I decided to go back to Kellin when I looked at the counter which was straight across me from where I stood. On the other side and from there if I went straight I'd get to him. There was a small figure there.

I went over and saw the small figure was a little girl. Her head rested on her arms which were on the counter as she sat on one of those chairs behind it. Her dark brown locks covered much of her face. I brought a hand near her head, no. I don't want to wake her up. I moved away after doing a last check on the shelves behind the counter. But obviously all it had were cigarettes and lighters.

That's when it occurred to me that there was a storage room door at the other end of the wall where Kellin was. I swiftly moved towards there and tried to open it. Locked. I looked at the shelves beside me and saw that they contained tools and car parts. I scanned them all and found a crowbar. I pulled one out from a row of brown ones and went for the door. I got it hooked in the gap between the door and the doorframe.

Before I put an pressure on the crowbar I looked at Harold, like asking for approval. He gave a curt nod and I gripped it tightly and began working.

This went on for a while. I pushed and tugged. While tugging, I wondered if my lower arm would break off my elbow.

Unfortunately the moment I thought it was opening was actually the moment the supposedly rusty piece of shit broke with a sound.

"I believe you wanted this when you came here," Harold said walking towards me holding an axe in his hand. I grabbed it from his extended arm and violently hit its sharp edge on the door repeatedly till there were thin remains of the door on its frame. I looked back at the entrance door and I saw Harold had taken his place there while I worked on the door.