Chapter Seventeen: A Most Horrible Dinner

Start from the beginning

“Don’t Eli,” I growled. “Don’t even continue what you’re about to say. We’ll just see when we get to this dinner. For now, I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Caleb,” Eli said as I walked out of the room.

“Drop it Eli,” I huffed.

I didn’t want to think about all the terrible possibilities. I just thought that we were going to a normal dinner between four parents to meet his girlfriend. Now Eli had me all worried about it because of his experiences with Michelle. But I had to just keep reminding myself that Michael is nothing like that. He’s smarter than that. I raised him to be smarter than that. He knows about drugs, sex, peer pressure and all that other stuff. We talked about it before he started high school. Eli is just being paranoid. Everything would be fine.

So, at six, I wasn’t worried. I got dressed, hopped into my car, and Eli, Michael and I drove down to his girlfriend’s place. We pulled up to a beautiful home on the opposite side of town, or what I refer to as the wealthy part of town. So, Michael’s girlfriend’s family was obviously well-off. I was actually kind of excited to meet these people and to see the lovely young lady that Michael was dating.

“What do your girlfriend’s parents do again?” Eli asked staring at the house in awe.

“Her dad’s a business man and her other dad owns a restaurant,” Michael replied.

“Wait? Wait a minute!? Did you just say she has two dads?” Eli said.

“Yeah,” Michael nodded.

“Why didn’t you say that earlier?” I huffed. “I was worried about the awkward straight parents and gay dad’s thing.”

“Oh sorry,” Michael shrugged as we stepped to the front door. I rang the doorbell twice, shoving my hands into my pocket. This ought to be interesting. I grinned as the door opened wide and a girl with long brown hair greeted us at the door.

“Hello! Dad! They’re here!” the girl shouted. Well, she’s cute. I think I did a good job as a parent.

“Please come in,” she said ushering us inside.

“Dad? Dad? Uh – This is Alia,” Michael said running his fingers through his hair. “My girlfriend.”

“Nice to meet you,” I said shaking her hand. Eli did the same. She grinned at us, giving a warm smile. She seemed really sweet. I liked her already. She was cute, polite and had a great smile. Plus a really adorable name – Alia. That’s such a pretty name.

“Dad,” Alia called out. “Pop.”

“I’m right here,” a ridiculously attractive man with short blonde hair, blue eyes and a Gucci suit said. “Hello. I’m Jonathan. You must be Michael’s dads.”

“Um …” I said a little tongue tied. The guy was drop dead gorgeous. If Eli and I weren’t together . . . God, the thoughts running through my head right now are ridiculously dirty.

“Yes, we are,” Eli said filling in. “I’m Eli and this is my boyfriend, Caleb.”

“Nice to meet you,” Jonathan grinned. “My husband, Alex, will be down soon. He’s putting our son, Sam, to sleep.”

“I’m right here,” a voice said from behind us. I turned around to see another gentleman with dark hair, green eyes, definitely an Italian. He was attractive but not as attractive as Jonathan.

“I’m Caleb,” I said introducing myself. “My boyfriend, Eli.”

“Nice to meet you! I’m Alex,” he said shaking my hand and then Eli’s. “Well, now that, introductions are over. Let’s eat. I wouldn’t want the food to get cold.”